Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

New intake manifold leaks at ports

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:33 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Post New intake manifold leaks at ports

87 Monte w/ 305 4bbl...

I wasn't passing emissions because the original intake manifold had clogged EGR passages. I put on an Edelbrock 3706. I used Ultra black RTV around the front, back and water ports only. The gaskets were the papery steel core set the GM parts counter up the road provided.

I set the timing today and all is well but it's surging. I put a 5/32" rubber hose to my ear and picked up a healthy suckage over the 1/3 intake ports-to-head area. 5/7 is dead quiet there.

I didn't think the ports needed RTV, though maybe that would have masked the problem. How do I check the manifold for trueness when I pull it? I may be able to leave the stocker in my parts washer to see if I can get it unclogged and re-use it and return the Edel. to Jegs if it's bad.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those flanges are machine finished. I wouldn't think it would be warped. check it with a straight edge of some sort but I think your probably dealing with a little debris you didn't recognize while installing.

Quick Reply: New intake manifold leaks at ports