Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC help in 78 Chevy K10

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SBC help in 78 Chevy K10

Hey guys,

I am attempting to help my buddy out with his truck, and I know next to nothing in regards to carb setups. Anyway, he just got his 78 Chevy restored and is having a few problems with the motor now.

http://1985chevytruckmattstipe.shutt...om/pictures/15

That's a link to the truck restore pictures for anyone who is interested.

The place that did the restoration put an edelbrock intake and carb on it. I am not sure what intake was previously on it, but it had a quadrajet on it. The motor in it is a re-manufactured 350 from an auto parts store that he had put in several years ago. He hardly ever drove the truck before the restoration so the motor has relatively low miles. It has the manual transmission in it with the granny gear.

Anyway, he just bought a 22.5' Crownline boat now that he has a nice truck to pull it with. Without the boat hooked up, the truck runs great and has no problems. As soon as the boat gets hooked up and a decent load is put on the motor, it bogs down pretty bad and feels like it has no power, especially in third gear. He thinks he should look into a different carb setup. I have no clue what size carb is on it, but what would be a good carb to go with for a pretty much stock SBC 350 with headers in this truck? If I need to get more information on it I certainly take a look at the carb and get any numbers or anything off of it.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: SBC help in 78 Chevy K10