Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

fastest way to 300 whp

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
You must have some good hook-ups!

$400 for a 243 headed 30K mile engine?? Thats worth at least $1500. $500-$800 usually gets you 100,000+ miles engine
sorry, but that is correct. these prices are possible. Its is possible to buy a sub 1000$ gen4 motor. Correct about the gen3 100k mile engines however. But both are facts.
I can list all the ls motors ive bought and you would not believe me. I really dont care, i gain nothing by lying about that. I have a longblock that im less than a 1000$ amd i plan on 800hp. one of my best deals to date is a 300$ 6.0 ly6 with intake,tb,coilpacks. The folks at jy are catching on NOW. But ive been buying ls motors since 03. Not really a hook up where i get my motors from, but i do get first pick texts many times guy i buy from.

$1500 got you a:

LS carb intake/Ignition ($800)
Headers ($400)
Cam ($400)
Lifters ($120)
Springs ($120)
Pushrods ($120)
Motor mount adapters ($30-$50)
Thats $3,000 worth of stuff EASY!
Alot of these prices for parts are realistic for new parts.
But the value of the ls is its ability to use used parts like cams and heads and not care.
Sometimes gotta buy new. But can get away with alot of used stuff sometimes.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are new price estimates. Some things I wouldnt mind used either.

Some of the things like the CAM, pushrods, carb intake, ignitions I would use too. The cams I found on here were not much cheaper than new, so I went new. Seems to be the case here for stuff I'm looking for (IE used FAST 92 intake).

Some things like lifters, headers I would avoid

Seems the EFI portion is what is costing me the most money. For what I have paid for the TB, injectors, and FI tank would have bought a carb set-up 5X over.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What makes you think the cast crank and PM rods in a SBC is any weaker than the cast/PM in the LS?

I have to admit, when I tore down my LS engine, things I noticed..

6 bolt main bolts on the LS, BUT they are tiny bolts!
Tiny 8mm rocker bolts on the LS vs 3/8" studs on the SBC
Cast pistons are cast pistons
PM rods are PM rods
cast crank is a cast crank
No arguement the LS makes more power, but I find it hard to believe the parts are "stronger". But I guess thats another thread

I know people love what they love and will defend it
this is a turbo build what i mentioned. Not naturally aspirated. Will the ls hold and make more hp,psi and rpm on stock heads and internals?
I dont think it, i know it
Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
this is a turbo build what i mentioned. Not naturally aspirated. Will the ls hold and make more hp,psi and rpm on stock heads and internals?
I dont think it, i know it
I'm sure the SBC could handle it too. No question who has better heads for the $$. But the SBC is not a weak bottom end.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

It is not the strength in question, it is junkyard pull vs junkyard pull. You don't need anything for a LS, a 5.7 needs things that add up.

A LS with a cam, 7000 rpm with pr and springs.
That is also stock heads and makes rediculous power band.

SBC needs all kinds of support.

Making the LS the budget king. That is all I'm saying. Throw enough money at anything and it will produce. LS just benefits more from aftermarket parts, doesn't need them.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 PM
In-Zane Moderator

What makes you think the cast crank and PM rods in a SBC is any weaker than the cast/PM in the LS?

I have to admit, when I tore down my LS engine, things I noticed..

6 bolt main bolts on the LS, BUT they are tiny bolts!
Tiny 8mm rocker bolts on the LS vs 3/8" studs on the SBC
Cast pistons are cast pistons
PM rods are PM rods
cast crank is a cast crank
No arguement the LS makes more power, but I find it hard to believe the parts are "stronger". But I guess thats another thread

I know people love what they love and will defend it
For starters, how many SBC have powdered rods? Exactly, we are taking any random SB, not the vortec alone.
The small tiny bolts are also surrounded by deep skirting. Another advantage. As well as ALL of them are 6 bolt, you do not need to hunt a 4 bolt that some A hole is asking more for than a 2 bolt,.
8mm rocker bolts are because of engineering, they do not need a huge rocker stud because of heavy valve train. Let's not forget that you need to machine for screw in studs that won't rip out web you put real springs to hold that thing together on a small block.
Cast is cast, never had issues with old SBC pistons or cranks.
Stock for stock, can you spin 7200 with just a cam, springs and pushrods? No, no, no. The LS is stronger factory for factory, it is with the territory. One was designed in 1955 the other in 1997, then there is the gen IV that has even better rods and reluctor.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

End of discussion here: hotRod did a test on a 5.3 that ended up being a 4.8 junkyard engine. Put better springs, a Fast intake and i believe twin 76mm turbos. The engine had over 50 dyno pulls that made over 1000hp. They maxed out at about 1200hp and thats because the ignition would not keep up. Show me a stock bottom GEN I that can do that. The 4.8 never blew!

Edit: Found the link
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/
Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 AM
In-Zane Moderator

That is not the argument, it is the price, cost effective stock parts, budget builds.

Fact is a SBC holds boost easier because of 5 bolt per slug vs 4 on a gen III. Gen IV has 6 on some. But with studs and blah blah, the gen III does fine.

Quick Reply: fastest way to 300 whp