Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

New carb adn sit. wont idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New carb adn sit. wont idle?

I got a 305 sbc. had a Rochester carburetor before along with the computer controlled distributor. I switched them both out for a 600cfm Edelbrock 1405 carb and a ebay 65,000 volt HEI dist with msd wires.Car started up good but backfired thru carb so i advanced the dist and then no start so i retarded it and now it starts great but wont idle. i have to keep tappign on the throttle and even if i hold it at 5k RPM itll stumble and die. but i can rev it up and down forever. choke is full open new fuel lines and filter. also i notice white smoke coming out from my carb i dont have PCV hose connected. i have dist vacuum secondary connected and manifold vacuum capped and 1/4 vacuum on back capped due to the power brakes steel line fitting is to big.
Any ideas? I have messed with the mixture screws already with no luck and i can get it to idle at 3k with idle screw but itll die after a few seconds.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like a vacuum leak and timimg off.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try choking it and see if it calms down, if so, you probably have a vacuum leak. If not, get a light on it and set initial timing around 18. It's possible that the carb is too big or jetted up too much.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, is your crankcase vented or is it plugged off totally? It's also possible that your forcing pressure past the rings and contaminated your charge.

Quick Reply: New carb adn sit. wont idle?