Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

L31 Conversion Distributor Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L31 Conversion Distributor Help

I am converting my L31 (vortec 5700) to carb and I am using the stock cam. Whats a decent distributor to use? Do I need to use the gear that's on the original distributor shaft?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the GM hei from summit. 89 shipped to my door and hasn't let me down yet.

If it is a factory roller cam, it probably has the hardened core, so a bronze gear is not necessary. The distributor I have has a stock gear on it and has worked well on my flat tappet cam.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ei+distributor
Old 01-06-2015, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Ever get that distributor? How did it work out? I'm doing the same with an L31 in a project I'm working on. What intake/carb combo are you using?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Old but relevant thread. I just converted an L31 for use as a place holder in a '72 Vette while the 427 small block gets freshened up. I used a Performer intake, stock cam, mild porting, .015" head gaskets, 1.6 rockers, LT4 springs MSD ignition. The cam is pretty wimpy but it was paid for. I drilled the original distributor gear for use with the MSD distributor. It's not really very powerful but it is much better than a stock L31. A cam with 20 to 30 more degrees would help but the low compression would still limit the build of an L31.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kpeterson
Old but relevant thread. I just converted an L31 for use as a place holder in a '72 Vette while the 427 small block gets freshened up. I used a Performer intake, stock cam, mild porting, .015" head gaskets, 1.6 rockers, LT4 springs MSD ignition. The cam is pretty wimpy but it was paid for. I drilled the original distributor gear for use with the MSD distributor. It's not really very powerful but it is much better than a stock L31. A cam with 20 to 30 more degrees would help but the low compression would still limit the build of an L31.
Thanks! I knew this was an old thread, figured by now he would have had it figured out what worked. This is my first shot at freshining up a Gen I sbc. As for not a lot of power I'll be putting the motor in a 1929 Mercedez Gazelle Kitcar that weighs little over 2000lbs (fiberglass body). Even with 200hp it will be a huge difference over the 70hp chevette motor I pulled out of it! Any idea who sells a complete gasket set for a 97' L31? I've been having issues locating one. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know about a gasket kit specific to the L31. Mine was a fresh engine when I started so I didn't take off the pan or timing cover. I used typical gen 1 head gaskets and Vortec intake gaskets. I just left the crank sensor in place but unused with the carb conversion. Here are some of the things I encountered:

My heads already had beed modified for higher lift but I had to drill the push rod holes to 1/2" for the rocker ratio upgrade.

The LT4 springs dropped right in but some people have said that the LT4s would not fit their Vortec heads.

Using a piston stop I found the notch on the timing cover to be well aligned with the balancer notch at TDC. I used chord lengths to add marks every five degrees so I could establish timing curves. I used a cut off wheel on a Dremel to make shallow cuts in the balancer. I wouldn't do this on a hi-perf application but I think it's OK for this set up. A timing tape would work too but this was free.

The Corvette accessories worked but the bolt heads on the plastic timing cover had to be shaved down a bit to clear the Corvette water pump.

The Corvette needs the forward clutch stud location which was not drilled from the factory so I made a simple drill guide and added the hole.

I drilled and tapped a head for the old style temp sender.

I agree with other who say keep the timing low with these heads. I'm at about 34 mechanical advance. I'm using a .50 sixth gear with a 3.55 R&P so I had to be careful with how quickly the advance comes in or I can ping at low rpm in O.D. The combination will pull 6th as low as about 1200 rpm but you need to be easy on the gas when lugging that low.

The off idle torque is very good with mine. It feels like a 454 till about 3000 rpm. It would be a sweet set up in 2000 pound car.
Attached Thumbnails L31 Conversion Distributor Help-dscn5632.jpg   L31 Conversion Distributor Help-dscn5383.jpg   L31 Conversion Distributor Help-dscn5485.jpg   L31 Conversion Distributor Help-dscn5401.jpg   L31 Conversion Distributor Help-dscn5395.jpg  

Last edited by kpeterson; 01-14-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spellin

Quick Reply: L31 Conversion Distributor Help