Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Need a little carbed vortec cam help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a little carbed vortec cam help

carbing a 98 vortec for my 93 s10 and i cant seem to find any good cams that arent retrofit its going to be a street strip truck 411s in the rear 3000 stall and either th350 or 700r4 also want a something around 110 lsa anyone have any advice? Should i just run FI lt1 grinds if so i was thinking about the cc306 or along those lines i always liked it when i had my LT1 bird
Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first place to turn to when wanting a cam:

http://bulletcams.com/
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
carbing a 98 vortec for my 93 s10 and i cant seem to find any good cams that arent retrofit its going to be a street strip truck 411s in the rear 3000 stall and either th350 or 700r4 also want a something around 110 lsa anyone have any advice? Should i just run FI lt1 grinds if so i was thinking about the cc306 or along those lines i always liked it when i had my LT1 bird
First, are the heads clearanced for more lift? If not, you might want to do that first. Otherwise you can't go above .450 lift. The EFI grinds will make soome good power but are not as ideal for a carb'd setup.

Since you are using a vortec block you have the advantage of all the factory roller stuff. Comp has alot of offerings for that setup. When you go to Comp site and choose "camshafts" it offers the 87-98 roller blocks. There are all the lines to choose from in there. Here is the link.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=SBCNEWCams

We have the nitrous grind for a roller block in a bone stock LT1 with a carb and it runs 11.80's in a 3200 lb car.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
First, are the heads clearanced for more lift? If not, you might want to do that first. Otherwise you can't go above .450 lift. The EFI grinds will make soome good power but are not as ideal for a carb'd setup.

Since you are using a vortec block you have the advantage of all the factory roller stuff. Comp has alot of offerings for that setup. When you go to Comp site and choose "camshafts" it offers the 87-98 roller blocks. There are all the lines to choose from in there. Here is the link.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=SBCNEWCams

We have the nitrous grind for a roller block in a bone stock LT1 with a carb and it runs 11.80's in a 3200 lb car.
Agreed on the fi cams not being good. If you're planning on A roller cam, you already have all the stuff.

I just built a 355 with vortec heads and I'm running a 218/.454 110 single pattern flat cam and I ran into retainer to seal clearance. A cheap and effective mod to do is use ls6 valve springs with comp retro fit retainers.

Small block springs are usually 1.7xx installed height while ls6 springs are 1.8xx. So you gain .100 off the bat. You also get a better spring rated for more lift for cheaper than comparable small block springs.

Some people have had luck just changing the stock vortec positive retention valve seals for plain umbrella seals and gained some clearance that way.

Or...you can have the valve guide bosses cut down to accept the higher lift cam without changing springs.

Quick Reply: Need a little carbed vortec cam help