Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Question about exhaust sound -- Thrush vs Pypes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about exhaust sound -- Thrush vs Pypes

Ok so right now i have a mildly-built 355 and Im less than pleased with the current exhaust system i have (which came with the car when i bought it)
The whole exhaust is dual 3" with an X-pipe and dual 3" thrush welded mufflers (side-inlet to center-outlet) and out the sides behind the wheels. Its loud, looks ugly and it drones like all hell!

I have Hooker long tubes 1-5/8" primaries to 3" collector. (which i plan to keep) everything behind it I plan to replace with the Pypes Street-Pro 2.5" Crossmember-back system. The goal is to still sound good but not so loud. Will this system be quiet enough to not **** off my neighbours and still sound good?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:03 PM
D79
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sure you will have a happy medium with that set up. I have a 3in pypes universal x-pype to magnaflow bullets then dumped at the rear axel. It's really not too bad at idle and cruising around. Don't get me wrong it's very noticeable but you can still have a conversation in the car. It doesn't drone much at all. Maybe a little around 1800-2200 rpm. When you go WOT it's pretty loud.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Ive looked at a few videos i could find of it on youtube. Im not sure I like the actual sound of the pypes mufflers. I still would like to get the system but replace the mufflers. Would something like a Flowmaster 40-Series Delta-Flow or 50-Series be more on the quiet side while still putting out a good tone? I mostly want the car to be quiet at idle. The sound I am aiming for is to be deep and low and powerful. I dont want any rasp or backsass. In one video they showed off the Hushpower Pro muffler but I cant find them anywhere on Jegs or Summit

Last edited by stevo1988; 03-24-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Teching In

I have a similar build, I just put the 2 1/2 inch Pypes crossover system with their Violator mufflers behind hooker 1 5/8 long tubes and it is not too loud at all, a lot quitter than flowmaster 40s, but I still have the stock 350 in it. Just picked up a set of vortec heads and edelbrock manifold.

Quick Reply: Question about exhaust sound -- Thrush vs Pypes