Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

F-body Cooling options for conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-body Cooling options for conversion...

Hi guys,

1995 camaro engine in a 1984 Jaguar XJ6 w/T6:

After I got rid of my B-body engine (spun a bearing) I decided to keep my original setup of a header tank (1999 Chevy Malibu) so I could keep my almost new radiator (a 1996 corvette all aluminium radiator).

However after my F-body engine blew a head gasket, I got to thinking about my coolant system. Since I've been slowly but surely repairing the damage, i did some research and found that while the B-body had the same PSI rating as the Malibu tank (15psi) the F-body is 18 psi. It makes sense why the old tank blew in the heat, causing the car to over heat and blow the head gasket.

So now, I'm looking for some other options so that I may keep my water pump and radiator. Does any one have any ideas so that I may keep my expensive bits? I was thinking a remote filler neck, but I don't know if that's a good idea because of how the hoses from the water pump are situated -- i guess I could just splice it in, but I don't think it'd be at the top of my cooling system and i'd wind up with a ton of air. In the Fbody, wasn't the filler cap all the way up by the firewall?

My other idea was to find a header tank with a higher PSI rating that is metal. There are some around, but they are expensive. Plus, the inlets are very small, the inlet i currently have on the malibu tank is 3/4" and the ones on metal the tanks i've seen are 1/4".

My third option is to ditch my radiator, water pump and coolant tank and go to a straight F-body setup -- sure fire, but the most expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas of what i could do?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typically a header tank failure happens after overheating, not before. I'd suspect the head gasket failure first which filled the cooling system with exhaust gas.

Quick Reply: F-body Cooling options for conversion...