Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Wondering on a cam I have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering on a cam I have?

I have a jegs camshaft

.292/.292 duration

.488/.488 Lift and 114 lope separation

I have heard the cam is a good high mild camshaft, I am probably gonna run double hump heads torker 2 intake and a 750 on a 350 4 bolt main.

May drop into a s10 as well so I was just wondering if I back the motor with a 3000 - 3200 stall if this cam would work.

The cam's range is 3000- 6200
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Looking at the cam on Jeg's website, the duration at 0.050" lift is 234 degrees for both the intake and exhaust. It appears to be a compromise street/strip cam with more lift and less duration than the old 327/365 cam. The 114 degree Lobe Separation Angle (LSA) should allow it to idle around 750-800 RPM. ( I'd check with Jeg's on the recommended valve springs for this cam as your stock double hump springs will probably experience coil bind with the extra lift above 0.450".)

With the lift as high as it it, you'll need extended slot "stock-type" rockers although I would prefer roller rockers myself. If your double hump heads have not been ported for max flow, the extra lift of this cam will be wasted as the stock Chevy double hump heads experience a choke down in flow above 0.450" lift mark.

Again, check with Jeg's, but I believe that this cam will need at least a 10:1 compression ratio (or better) to make decent torque for street driving. If you plan to street/strip the engine, then the Torker 2 intake manifold should do the trick although I would prefer the Performer Air Gap if the engine will spend most of it's time on the street. The choice of intake will be greatly influenced by your stall converter. (See below.)

As for the stall converter, again check with Jeg's. You may not need that high a stall converter depending upon which transmission you're using and what rear end ratio you plan to use. If you use a 3000-3200 stall converter and the engine won't spend much time below 2,500 RPM, I'd say the Torker 2 would be the way to go.

The S10 should be a good choice with this cam since it's lighter than a full-sized truck.

Have fun with the build!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
Looking at the cam on Jeg's website, the duration at 0.050" lift is 234 degrees for both the intake and exhaust. It appears to be a compromise street/strip cam with more lift and less duration than the old 327/365 cam. The 114 degree Lobe Separation Angle (LSA) should allow it to idle around 750-800 RPM. ( I'd check with Jeg's on the recommended valve springs for this cam as your stock double hump springs will probably experience coil bind with the extra lift above 0.450".)

With the lift as high as it it, you'll need extended slot "stock-type" rockers although I would prefer roller rockers myself. If your double hump heads have not been ported for max flow, the extra lift of this cam will be wasted as the stock Chevy double hump heads experience a choke down in flow above 0.450" lift mark.

Again, check with Jeg's, but I believe that this cam will need at least a 10:1 compression ratio (or better) to make decent torque for street driving. If you plan to street/strip the engine, then the Torker 2 intake manifold should do the trick although I would prefer the Performer Air Gap if the engine will spend most of it's time on the street. The choice of intake will be greatly influenced by your stall converter. (See below.)

As for the stall converter, again check with Jeg's. You may not need that high a stall converter depending upon which transmission you're using and what rear end ratio you plan to use. If you use a 3000-3200 stall converter and the engine won't spend much time below 2,500 RPM, I'd say the Torker 2 would be the way to go.

The S10 should be a good choice with this cam since it's lighter than a full-sized truck.

Have fun with the build!
The Double humps will be coming off my 350 with a full race Lunati camshaft, transmission will be a th350 with a 2800- 3000 stall cause itll mainly be a strip car. Rear will have 4.11s cause I run 28x9 slicks and this is the setup under my buick as well. We are gonna use the torker 2 because of the high rpm range and it matches the camshaft. I will probably be running a 750 holley with stock distributor, the distributor will be rebuild with all the racing acc. Should be fun for the sunday street drags we have here. I love my buick but one car isn't enough for me and the old man.

Quick Reply: Wondering on a cam I have?