Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

88 GMC K1500 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 GMC K1500 build

Well I had been scouring Craigslist for weeks, and finally bought myself a project truck. It's an 88 K1500. It's got the usual wear and tear on the body from being in the northeast for the winters, but it's got a great frame and a fresh short block with less than 60k. I have some cash set aside for it, but I want some input before I start doing any real work. Only things I bought as of now are some MSD 8.5mm wires and Bosch platinum plugs. I know swaps are common in these trucks but I want to keep the TBI setup if I can. I don't want to do any LS swaps, that's for sure. Too easy. Too common. I'm looking for around 400whp if possible. I'm thinking heads/cam with proper intake/exhaust and forged internals, but still want to be street legal in MA. Any pointers, love stories, or nightmares will be appreciated. Thanks
Teching In

Default 88 GMC Sierra SLE build

Well I had been scouring Craigslist for weeks, and finally bought myself a project truck. It's an 88 K1500. It's got the usual wear and tear on the body from being in the northeast for the winters, but it's got a great frame and a fresh short block with less than 60k. I have some cash set aside for it, but I want some input before I start doing any real work. Only things I bought as of now are some MSD 8.5mm wires and Bosch platinum plugs. I know swaps are common in these trucks but I want to keep the TBI setup if I can. I don't want to do any LS swaps, that's for sure. Too easy. Too common. I'm looking for around 400whp if possible. I'm thinking heads/cam with proper intake/exhaust and forged internals, but still want to be street legal in MA. Any pointers, love stories, or nightmares will be appreciated. Thanks
Teching In

Default 88 GMC Sierra SLE build

Well I had been scouring Craigslist for weeks, and finally bought myself a project truck. It's an 88 K1500. It's got the usual wear and tear on the body from being in the northeast for the winters, but it's got a great frame and a fresh short block with less than 60k. I have some cash set aside for it, but I want some input before I start doing any real work. Only things I bought as of now are some MSD 8.5mm wires and Bosch platinum plugs. I know swaps are common in these trucks but I want to keep the TBI setup if I can. I don't want to do any LS swaps, that's for sure. Too easy. Too common. I'm looking for around 400whp if possible. I'm thinking heads/cam with proper intake/exhaust and forged internals, but still want to be street legal in MA. Any pointers, love stories, or nightmares will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are not going to keep the TBI and make 400 hp. The t/b and the intake will be a bad restriction.

On trucks like those, the best thing I did to them was put a truck motor in them that never made it to a truck. An old school L98 TPI setup. They made notorious torque for pulling and with the right mods made enough hp to embarass more than enough mustangs.

I did one with a cheap set of 195 trickflows and GM hotcam. I knew the stock chip wasn't going to run it too well and I didn't want to have to pay someone to burn a chip because it would cost too much. I ended up using a hypertech stage 2 chip a buddy had laying around. It worked perfectly. The truck ran 12.9-13.0 on the motor and 11.9-12.0 on a 150 shot. We changed the intake to a holley stealth ram and the truck picked up 2 tenths from having a little bit higher power band.

By the way, why 3 threads on the same truck?

Quick Reply: 88 GMC K1500 build