Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Timing my sbc 305

Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing my sbc 305

I'm new to the fourm. So I just recently built a sbc 305 gen 1. Yeah I know it's not a 350 and people ask why build a 305 but I did anyways.

Mods: bored .40 over, flat top pistons, eagle rods, 280h comp cam, comp double roller timing set with 4 degree advance or retardant timing , 305 h.o heads with 3 angle valve job.
My question is do I need to set the timing gear on the advance timing mark or stock timing?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

generally you follow what the camshaft manuf. states for that camshaft. otherwise see bottom of page to understand what happens.
http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/CamSpecTerms.aspx

generally when you advance cam timing, you run higher cylinder pressures at low-mid rpm's which may cause excessive cylinder pressure and detonation for the octane you run, or require you to run higher octane. whether it's more than 91/93 pump gas depends on your overall configuration and compression ratio and quench.

before you start the motor, you want to verify your piston to valve clearance for whatever camshaft timing alignment you use otherwise you take your chances.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing my sbc 305