Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

OBS GMC carb swap Vortec 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBS GMC carb swap Vortec 350

Have a 1999 GMC Yukon Denali with a mild 350 Vortec in it. It has headers and head work but mainly it is running the LT4 Hot Cam from GMPP. I've been working with the tune and HP Tuners and just can't seem to figure out how to get it running just right. So I'm going to go ahead with the carb swap. Seems simple enough and not really intimidated with the work of the swap. I guess my question is that I'm a whipper snapper and have no experience with carbs (31 years old) and have only had one vehicle with a carb ever and it was a single barrel flathead 6 Ford.

My question is will the truck run and drive fine with the carb, or better than the crappy spider type injection? I know it'll make more power as I've seen and read so many articles with Hot Cammed SBC making just over 400 hp consistently.

I'm looking at getting the Vortec carb kit from Summit Racing that comes with the intake (cheap Summit casting), 750 cfm carb (allegedly made by Holley), and breather and fuel lines all for less than $600. Trying to save money anywhere I can.

Also, I just recently changed the fuel pump in the Denali and not looking to change the pump again, but I've seen that Holley made a fuel pressure regulator good for carb swaps with fuel injected vehicles? Which regulator would work best?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbs were ran for years and years before fuel injection came along. The carb will make more power, just make sure you use the proper regulator and keep the fuel pressure around 6 psi. I ran a 355 vortec motor with a 750 HP for 8 years in a third gen on the street. It had an XR288HR hydraulic roller and a th350, would run 11.90s on motor and I could drive it anywhere.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

What trans do you have? If it's a 4l60 or 80 your going to need throttle position input into the computer for it work properly. You're going to need a return style regulator and then adapt it to the fuel lines you have now so the carb only sees the 6-8psi it needs. I run a Mallory regulator on my car, which has the same vortec headed, hot cam, carb set up you are trying to accomplish.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Plan was to convert to a carb but I ended up selling it to get money to fix my Pontiac G8 GT. I wish I would’ve kept it though. Not another Denali like that one anywhere.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JadXtreme
Plan was to convert to a carb but I ended up selling it to get money to fix my Pontiac G8 GT. I wish I would’ve kept it though. Not another Denali like that one anywhere.

Ahh I missed you posted this back in February. Can always build another!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Haha. Yeah but it would have to be an LS though. Much easier to tune. All my focus is going to be on my G8 for now. Then saving up for my youngins vehicles as they are getting older. If I get anything else, it’ll likely be an NBS truck with an LS in it.

Quick Reply: OBS GMC carb swap Vortec 350