Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

cheapest sbc rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheapest sbc rebuild?

So I need a temporary daily driver for the next yr or two. I picked up a used 89 TBI 350 that "ran good when pulled -no smoke -no knocks" said the old man. It sat for around 9-10 years. I started going through it and there's no major scoring on any of the cylinders. All rod bearings looked good. 2 of the main bearings had a slight scoring inside the bearing but the crank was still smooth.
Nothing appeared spun.

Is it possible to re ring and re bearing this and get 75k miles out of it? Anyone "freshen up" a good running sbc?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely can..I have done a few of them..just make sure you do yourself a favor and do the valve seals..(:
Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have honed a engine like that, had the crank checked and turned, new bearings and some new rings, bam, you have a fresh engine. But now days I just get complete 5.3 engines for 400$ and throw a carb setup on them, bam, 350 HP and reliable as all hell. And I don't have to mess with a distributor and long goofy wires.

A set of gaskets, rings and bearings, some machine work(totally worth it to check and resize rods and crank), home it yourself, have the heads checked. You will be in it 5-600$ depending on the shop used as well as parts but you will know everything is right. And spend the extra on top of that to have them hit tank the block and check it for any problems. It adds up and the price starts to suck but the ability to know the reliability of the parts is not in question pays for itself. Good luck!

Quick Reply: cheapest sbc rebuild?