Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

244 cfm stock GM TPI base

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014 | 07:23 PM
Launching!

Default 244 cfm stock GM TPI base

Seen many ask if a stock base could flow the same as an aftermarket

Answer is yes it can it will take a TON of work though. This ones got nothing left in it really. Lots of time on the bench to keep runners close in consistency

Didnt know if there were any TPI fans here.
Attached Thumbnails 244 cfm stock GM TPI base-tpi1.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014 | 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I have a couple of TPI cars.

TPI's main issue is the long runners, which regardless of diameter prematurely limit rpm at the cost of adding a lot of TQ low in the rpm range.

While I have seen some stock type (ported OEM or aftermarket) TPI setups that made good power, completely changing the intake tract to something more high rpm friendly (SuperRam, Miniram, SR) is one great option.
Old 10-28-2014 | 06:30 PM
Launching!

Right on that one, runners kill it
The SR for most street cars with the typical 260-270ish cfm head IF the SR has had enough work is the best bet so its not restrictive. Not too many guys willing to spend the coin to buy the SR then spend almsot the same getting it to work right. Too bad noones picked up the casting and produced them again
They are ugly huge and a pain to assemble but a great design.
Old 10-29-2014 | 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Right on that one, runners kill it
The SR for most street cars with the typical 260-270ish cfm head IF the SR has had enough work is the best bet so its not restrictive. Not too many guys willing to spend the coin to buy the SR then spend almsot the same getting it to work right. Too bad noones picked up the casting and produced them again
They are ugly huge and a pain to assemble but a great design.

The good thing these days that you can get aftermarket EFI to run the system, which eliminates all the OEM computer limitations and opens up tuning to the modern age.

Over the years, there have been many intakes for the TPI, most are long discontinued:

SuperRam
Miniram - still available
2 SLP designs
Holley street ram - still available I think

The best designs are the first two mentioned - although I would never run the Miniram on anything under 383ci due to the soft TQ curve down low.
Old 11-04-2014 | 09:43 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

stealth ram is still available. even in Chinese versions. I love the TPI, but it's just too restricting.

Quick Reply: 244 cfm stock GM TPI base