Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Confusion

I have a 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 355 cubic inch motor that was allegedly supposed to be a high performance engine. It still has the stock GM 200r4 transmission and rear end. I want to go with a turbo motor and I am confused as to whether I should get a junkyard LS engine and start from there, or should I use what I already have. I do not have fuel injection on the 355 and was wondering about using blow-through carbs and how reliable they would be for street use. The other problem is what to do with the 355 engine if I go with an LS conversion. I also would appreciate greatly anybody who can give me advice and estimates for both engines.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- spend some money on a good rear end, the stocker is junk.

- the trans is a great trans, I personally would build it.

- a stock 350 block will not hold up to a lot of boost and will give in the cylinder walls

- Now this is weird for me to say but I would throw a stock 5.3/4.8 in there go fuel injected and boost it up, you can put a mega squirt in for fairly cheap or what i personally like is the Holley HP setup. my friend just made a little over 900 rwhp with a stock bottom end TT 5.3

Quick Reply: Confusion