Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Help with LT1-T56 to BBC Clutch setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015 | 05:24 PM
Teching In

Default Help with LT1-T56 to BBC Clutch setup

I'm putting a BBC in a fox body mustang and have been attempting to put together a t56 setup. I've been looking at Lt1 style t56's due to the bolt pattern being the same, relatively cheap, and everything I've read looks like this is my best option. I'm at 650 lbfts and am having a hard time finding a clutch flywheel option that is reasonable. Most single discs are rated around 550 hp and I've seen too many slip. I found a twin disc kit (flywheel/clutch setup) from McLeod, but it's $1550 and that just seems insane. I've browsed the summit catalog and did some internet research. None of the people who have mated the LT1 T56 to the BBC seem to discuss much about there clutch setups/related to horsepower numbers. Any idea's to bounce around would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2015 | 09:45 PM
FormerVendor

Selecting a clutch has a lot to do with how you plan to use the car. Is this car only going to see the street? Is it street/strip? Autocrossing? That will affect how you approach getting a clutch. A chart like this should be generally helpful; our holding capacities vary from part number to part number, but I'm trying to get you holding capacity for that particular application in a couple of our clutches.
Old 07-29-2015 | 12:21 PM
Teching In

The car is mainly going to be street with maybe a half a dozen passes at the track a year .... while drive ability is a concern, I've had clutches burn up in the past with a clutch rated for my power level. So driveability is taking 2nd priority in this instance. With that said and looking at the chart you supplied is there a particular one of those that you would recommend ?
Old 12-18-2015 | 04:15 PM
Teching In

I have having a similar issue currently. I am installing an 8.1L Vortec 496 in my 79 Trans Am with the LT1 T56. I have the RM-9023 Quicktime Bellhousing so I can either use the mechanical linkage or switch to the hydraulic setup. I bought a new 168 tooth flywheel but have not been able to iron out the clutch I will need. Hopefully someone here can give us some assistance.

Quick Reply: Help with LT1-T56 to BBC Clutch setup