Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

What block is better to start with for Procharger build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015 | 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Default What block is better to start with for Procharger build?

Hey guys, looking for some input on what block would be better to use for an upcoming winter build. I have an old chevy pickup currently with a GM goodwrench replacement 350 engine. (4-bolt mains, flat tappet cam).

I purchased a used Procharger D1SC kit for small block chevy and going to be using a blow thru carb with meth injection. Shooting for 500 horses to the wheels on somewhere between 8-12 PSI. Already have fresh ported vortec cylinder heads w/ 64cc chambers and upgraded valvesprings good to .550 lift. Engine will probably be between 9:1 and 9.5:1 compression.

My original plan was to use the current 4 bolt main goodwrench engine put have a machine shop put in ARP bolts and forged pistons and rods and have a custom cam ordered. I got to reading up a little bit on camshafts and wondered if it would be worth while to start with a later model vortec roller block so I could run a hydraulic roller camshaft instead of a flat tappet?

I can find the 350 roller vortec blocks pretty cheap around on craigslist but most, if not all, are only 2 bolt mains...

What would you guys do in this situation? Keep the 4-bolt flat tappet motor or look for a 2-bolt roller block? I wish I could afford a dart or motown block but thats not in the cards right now.
Old 08-31-2015 | 01:35 AM
Teching In

2 bolt mains can be upgraded to 4 bolt. From what I have heard they are even stronger than a stock 4 bolt. Of course the upgrade my cost more than finding a stock 4 bolt il unless you have a buddy with a machine shop.
Old 08-31-2015 | 05:10 PM
Teching In

A number of manufacturers are now selling what are referred to as "retrofit roller cams" which simply means any 2 piece rear main seal SBC can be equipped with a roller cam with either solid or hydraulic lifters. That said, if you are only shooting for 500hp why complicate matters with a blower? With a little machine work a 383 stroker kit can be installed into your 4 bolt 350 block add a good set of high flow aluminum heads and the motor can easily make 500hp.
Old 08-31-2015 | 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Looks like I need to re-think my ultimate goal and do some more research before I buy anything else lol. Too many decisions to make. I wanted to do the procharger because I already have the complete kit minus a blow through carb, plus I've honestly just always wanted something with a big noisy blower on it.

I guess I don't really have an ultimate goal horsepower wise. I just said 500 because I thought that would be a realistic goal with the procharger, and there would be room for more power with a more boost through a pulley swap.

Thanks for the info guys, Ill have to look into those retro-fit roller cams and also adding 4-bolt splayed main caps to a stock roller block. Figure out what would be the best bang for the buck here....
Old 09-03-2015 | 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

You can easily add a refrofit hyd roller in the engine you have, add the blower and buy a carb and you'll have a very nice and powerful combination. If you need a copy of the ProCharger installation instructions, send me an e-mail (not a pm) asking for them, and I'll e-mail them back to you. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-03-2015 | 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I sent you an email, let me know if you got it or not.
Old 09-03-2015 | 07:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by zrsnopro97
Thanks for the reply. I sent you an email, let me know if you got it or not.
Got it and replied back to you. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: What block is better to start with for Procharger build?