Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

396 sbc for towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016 | 11:58 PM
Teching In

Default 396 sbc for towing

I have a 350 that had a little work done to it, and it wiped the intake cam lobe on #4. I'm rebuilding it now. The goal is 500hp flat on 9.5 compression, but with all of the torque at 3000 or so. It will see a small shot of nitrous once in a while but the lower compression is mainly for towing in texas heat. Will also ceramic coat the chambers and piston tops.

Engine was a 10k miler pulled from a 98 truck. I guess this is gen 2 right ( sorry more of a motorcycle guy but not new to engines) is there any "L" nomenclature that goes with this engine?

Anyways. Having the block sonic checked and hopefully will get the word that this block will work. (if not it's going back 350)

Im looking into the scat 3.875 forged crank with the rods that provide extra clearance. how long of a rod can i get in this thing with/without getting into the oil rings?

Heads im thinking brodix ik200.

Cam, i haven't even gotten to get by am open to suggestions.

Engine should be able to live at 7500k but won't really see it very often and only when nitrous is on.

Interested in picking your brains
Old 06-15-2016 | 12:43 PM
On The Tree

5.875 I beam rods are in my 1996 block with some worked bowtie vortec heads. I bought a rotating assembly with them (no idea who after all this time, lol) and the clearanced crank (small counterweights). Had it all balanced and dropped it in. I spent about 30 minutes or so clearancing the bottoms of a couple of cylinders, IIRC...

Quick Reply: 396 sbc for towing