Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

sbc s-10 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc s-10 swap

Hello,i have a couple of questions concerning my 2003 S-10 V-6 extreme.i bought a 1980's sb 350 with the th 350 trans to put into my S-10,one of my questions is,will i need to buy a stand alone wiring harness for it? or can i use the one thats already in the truck?my second question is i heard i can weld the rear end tubes that the axels are in to the gear housing so they wont break lose and spin in the housing? sounds a little strange to me but then again im no expert? and if anyone has answers to help it would be greatly appreciated this is my first sbc s-10 swap...thanx for reading!!
Old 03-01-2021, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've personally never V8 swapped an S10 newer than '87. Always carb & mech. fuel pump so you just need switched 12V to the distributor. Not sure how different the harness is in later years. I hear dropping in a tbi motor is pretty 'straight forward', can't imagine needing a new harness.

I wouldn't waste any effort on the stock rear end, it will live just fine on street tires. Dragstrip + slicks will break it eventually.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Many many many moons ago I had a 1st gen 350 S-10 with stock rearend open diff. It was fun but never broke the rearend. I don't know the exact year but they upped the spline count a bit at some point, so I think all or most of 2nd gen have the slightly stronger axles. Pretty sure the mini-spool I got for my 2nd gen 96 sonoma was the higher count one. Like the previous reply said, hook it and it'll prob not last long, sides I think the weaker link is the ring gear/carrier in 7.5's idk I set my cars up to just slip the tire a bit so things don't break cause I don't like to replace rearend stuff.

Enough rambling, the main thing you want to stop is wheel hop or your gonna break it real fast.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Old thread, OP probably never coming back.

Before doing a 1980's swap in place of a 2003 4.3 you should compare factory power ratings. 80's 350's are garbage. Build quality and power numbers. But I know, it was free or something.

Quick Reply: sbc s-10 swap