Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

planning a new project... check out this idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default planning a new project... check out this idea

well I have pretty much ditched the idea of doing the 408/sprayed or boosted ls1 and just drop a cam only ls6 off in the TA and find ANOTHER car, something like a Chevy II rolling chassis. Start off with a Bill Mitchell 632 shortblock and top that off with a set of Brodix PB 1802's PB 1803's or some Brodix PB 2005's PB 2005's I'de top it off with a matched intake and a camshaft thats pretty wild in the .700's or early .800's lift ranges(which wouldn't be THAT wild for this size engine).

BUT the WHOLE thing is that I would like to keep it streetable. I'm not sure if it could be done but I think it would be ok with something around 12.5:1 compression with some REALLY high octane. These heads have REALLY small combustion chambers so I think compression would be pretty high being that Bill Mitchell states that the street shortblock makes 10.4:1 with a 119CC head and if I read the chart right on the brodix sight the 1802's have a 91cc and the 2005's have an 80CC chamber.

I don't like all out race cars and thats why I am choosing to try to make it streetable. But would a head this size actually perform worth a **** on the street? I assume that it would work nicely with the cubic inches I wanted to run. It says to run a minimum of 13.5:1 compression, but they say to use a minimum of 11.5:1 with the track 1 heads that I have on my 383. So I don't see any reason that I shouldn't be able to make some VERY sick horsepower, and then put about a 400 shot of nitrous on top, and drive her around town every once in a blue moon..... its going to be more of a car that I just keep in the shop and take to the race track every once in a while and when someone comes to town talking **** to me in my slower cars I can pull her outa the shed and go wax some ***. I'de be looking to spend around 14K in the engine alone being that the shortblock is 6,000, heads are 4,400, a valve train will run about 2,000 with shaft mounted rockers, the pushrods, the cam, and the lifters. Of coarse gaskets and other little doo-dads would put me over that probably but not bad.

I want to run 8's on motor and then hit the button.

Sorry for the long post but I just got really fed up with some people last night and I lost my give a f*** and decided to go all the hell out and stop f***in bullshittin around.

Josh S.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a cool combo

I'd keep the compression under 11.5 to 1 unless it'd have a huge cam to help with detonation. Personally to me, a street car means pump gas because last I checked you can't buy leaded race gas at any gas station. Any poser street car that shows up smelling of race gas gets a bum rap in most places, unless it hauls major ***. I know about 100 octane unleaded, but $4+ bucks a gallon would get old quick (probably also make you shy away from driving it much as fill-ups get expensive). Hot Rod's pump gas drags got TON of entries last year, and I'm sure they'll get more this year. Either way, good luck with the new build!

Derek
Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

They sell 110 leaded in at least 5 gas stations within 5 miles of my house, lots of boats around here
Old 12-20-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

With a flat top piston the compression would be around 12.5:1 with a 80 cc combustion chamber.

I am now juggling ideas between building the trans am or a race car..... its a hard decision to make between a low 9 second ls1 car that could be driven everyday and a low 8 or high 7 second race car.

Josh S.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

To be streetable your gunna want under 12 compressions,around town anything more than that is gunna kill parts.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:56 AM
7 Second Club

wow kp, leaded fuel at a pump?? that's a shocker! must be nice for those needing it though...
Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1LikeNoOther
To be streetable your gunna want under 12 compressions,around town anything more than that is gunna kill parts.
IT can be done thought...... I'm not actually talking about something that I'm gunna drive more than twice a week. But if it does need to happen I would be able to pull up at a gas station and fill her up and drive on.

Josh S.

Quick Reply: planning a new project... check out this idea