Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

No bottom!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope i havent checked the compression bcuz i dont have a compression tester i will buy one soon hopefully next payday, i also have some speeding tickets to pay . I did not have a mark on either side but when i pulled the stock cam i had it at tdc, and thats the way everything went back together, ive dun it like this before without degreeing it and had no problems but now that i know this a degree wheel is in the works.It takes time when you dont have a dime.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

I agree the low compression is killing some power. How much did you preload the lifters? Having them too tight will kill power especially low end, about 1/8 to 1/4 is plenty. Also might check your initial timing in relation to your total. You don't have stock valve springs do you? I don't think the carb and intake are killing you though. What kind of rockers do you have?
Old 03-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info, my boss let me use the work truck to pick up my other truck and i picked up a 750 in place of the edelbrock that was on that motor. I went thru it and put it on this motor now a can spin the tires from a dead which is nice really brought the bottom end back up, what power valve should i run i put a 5.5 should i just plug it off. Iam not going to have the cash to buy a compresion tester this check have to wait another 2 weeks. Even without a mark anyone would know that it should on a stock motor alteast point strait down atleast on the cam gear with the motor at tdc on #1.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Teching In

That sounds kind of strange: it picked up bottom-end power with a bigger carb.
Perhaps it was a vacuum leak?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

It maybe that the holley just outperforms the edelbrock i know alot of people i have talk to say the edelbrocks are more streetable but u loose time at the track so i dunno runs alot better and power brakes seem to have more vacum to work with also.

Quick Reply: No bottom!