Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

L98 Suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L98 Suggestions please.

ok I have an L98 motor (TPI 350) in my Iroc right nowe and I am having nothing but problems. I decided it's time to ditch the TPI and go carb.

Here is my main question; Whats the eisiest way to see 300rwhp n/a using the stock bottom end?

I am also going to be spraying this motor. I know the bottom end is not going to last me too long so I don't need the heads up on that

I do how ever plan on using a proform 750cfm carb with a victor jr. intake. anyone else for any advice?

Price is a huge concern, I am on a budget but want to race!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by XJOSHX
ok I have an L98 motor (TPI 350) in my Iroc right nowe and I am having nothing but problems. I decided it's time to ditch the TPI and go carb.

Here is my main question; Whats the eisiest way to see 300rwhp n/a using the stock bottom end?

I am also going to be spraying this motor. I know the bottom end is not going to last me too long so I don't need the heads up on that

I do how ever plan on using a proform 750cfm carb with a victor jr. intake. anyone else for any advice?

Price is a huge concern, I am on a budget but want to race!!!
cam and heads (trickflow or afr heads ) I wouldnt go with a victor intake probably want performer rpm airgap 1500-6500 rpm, single plane is better on higher rpm motors. and i wouldn't spin the stock bottom end much past 6k rpms,pluse if u plan on driving it on the street you would loses some low end torque. just my .02 cents
Old 09-29-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

victor jr. intake wont fit underneath your stock hood.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Restricted User

What problems are you having? Have you tried getting someone to come over and help? The TPI system is fairly good and can make some decent power with it.

Heads, cam and intake would be a good start. If you decide to keep the TPI, I have the Accel TPI base for that and would probably give you an additional 15-20hp.

FWIW, I would spend a few dollars on someone fixing the existing setup versus throwing more parts at it. If the next batch of parts don't work you're going to be more upset. Most of us have been there and done that!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is your budget?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id go with a decent size cam and some vortec heads. Try to get yourself a sort of "power" package.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, you can find the vortecs for fairly cheap, a little port/polish and a good cam and you would be in business.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

by the end of next summer it will have AFR 227's or dart 230's. I jsut want something cheap to beat around in the spring with. I don't have the cash for the heads right now because I am building the bottom end. I am basically looking for a cheap head thats "disposable" until I can get the real ehads on there. I am also not too worried about killing the bottom end since a new one is in the works anyways.

As for the TPI problems it's nothing major. Some things that can not be changed, like it falling on it's face at high rpm's. I jsut had to replace the MAF, and flat out PRICE. For the price of a ported base, large tube runner, and ported plenum, I would have already baught a complete carb set up. Then I would still have to search for injectors $$$$ and a new engine management system because we all kniow the management in mass air TPI cars is crapy so $$$$. Now the car won't start. I think there i a lose ignition wire somewhere because my car doesn't have vats.

The new motor is gonna get sprayed with a 250-350 shot. I want a mid to low 9 second street car in the end. I jsut can't buy everything all at once, and i also do not want to wait to drive. Crappy and stubborn situation.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by XJOSHX
by the end of next summer it will have AFR 227's or dart 230's. I jsut want something cheap to beat around in the spring with. I don't have the cash for the heads right now because I am building the bottom end. I am basically looking for a cheap head thats "disposable" until I can get the real ehads on there. I am also not too worried about killing the bottom end since a new one is in the works anyways.

As for the TPI problems it's nothing major. Some things that can not be changed, like it falling on it's face at high rpm's. I jsut had to replace the MAF, and flat out PRICE. For the price of a ported base, large tube runner, and ported plenum, I would have already baught a complete carb set up. Then I would still have to search for injectors $$$$ and a new engine management system because we all kniow the management in mass air TPI cars is crapy so $$$$. Now the car won't start. I think there i a lose ignition wire somewhere because my car doesn't have vats.

The new motor is gonna get sprayed with a 250-350 shot. I want a mid to low 9 second street car in the end. I jsut can't buy everything all at once, and i also do not want to wait to drive. Crappy and stubborn situation.
an hsr manifold will get you around 20-30+hp i have one thats never been installed. what you could do is just find a SD ecu car and pull the computer and harness from it..
Old 10-01-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really like the HSR and did TONS of research on it, and as much as I do like it, I don't think there is gonna be much to talk me out of carbs right now.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

i pulled my l98 out of my 91 z and took the stock bottom end, put stock edelbrock performer rpm heads, lt4 hotcam, edelbrock rpm air gap intake, 1 inch holley spacer, holley 670 street avenger, knn filter w/ lid, msd ignition, msd 8.5 wires, ngk plugs, msd 6a box. bolted to a built 700r4 w/ a 2500 stall and 3.42 gears in my 89 s10 blazer and it dynoed @ 350/ 325 at the rear wheels at dynospeed here in memphis in 102* heat.
everything i bought was used and i got from fellow car club members and off of the boards here and thirdgen.org and camaroz28.com.
i was pretty happy w/ it til i sold it for my 4th gen z
Old 10-06-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

plus i agree ive built 3 tpi systems, ive owned 6 the, 2 that i built i had so much in when i was done i could have built a decent carbed motor, the last one i built ( accel superram accel 58mm tb edelbrock heads comp cc306 cam 28pd injectors extensive head work) on top of the setup i had forged 383 balanced sb lt headers i would have made alot more power w/ a cheaper carb/intake setup.
also you are gonna need a new hood or mod yours to get most of anything to fit.

Quick Reply: L98 Suggestions please.