Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

opinions on a 305 TPI

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opinions on a 305 TPI

I have a pretty much stock 305 sitting in my car and I'm wondering if trying to wake this up is worth the investment. The car is a porsche 914 weighing about 2000 pounds so I don't need lots of torque. The car pulls a low 13 quarter right now. but at the upper rpms it doesn't seem to pull as hard as it should.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

i have a tpis mini ram intake, fuel rails and throttle body for sale that will add tons of upper hp but youll lose torq cuz of the short runners

check out tpis.com for info
Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

hmm that would be interesting to try out. How long is the entire set up compared to the stock. The front of the motor sits behind the driver seat and there is about an inch of clearance where the throttle body is at.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nicksw...1a.jpg&.src=ph
Old 12-28-2005, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

well the mini ram sits about a inch shorter then stock
Old 01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe its different in your small porsche, but i drove a 305 iroc a couple years back and that was one of the slowest cars ive ever driven. I think they had 190hp stock. Is it in your budget to save for a 350? Heck, for the price of a 350 you could have a 383? Either of these in your budget? If not, i dont really know what to tell you besides cam or heads to get the power. Do you have custom headers? I know the mini ram really helps the tpi motors out like orange88 was saying. Something cheap to add minimal ponies would be an airfoil.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

It is way different in the porsche, I have half the weight of a Camaro. I'm not looking for a horsepower monster, just something cheap and easy to let this motor breathe a little easier. I still have the stock manifolds on, aftermarket headers don't fit, the collector exits right smack in the middle of the axle shaft. Most people put a carbed 350 in these cars, as ar as I know I am the only one who put fuel injection in it.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think the 305 might have crossed 200hp on rare models a couple times but yeah, at best you have 200hp. If it runs good, I wouldn't do anything other than bolt ons. Maybe you can get some custom headers and a better intake to help it breath. only thing I would maybe do internally is a cam swap. you could go as far as to get some aftermarket heads but for that kind of money I'd swap it out for a 350. 305's were a good econo motor for drivers. small bore, doesn't allow much room to make them breath.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a 305 tpi in my 85 trans am its not the fastest car but it has decent low end and its good enuff 2 be a daily drive........i checked it out and my engine is rated at 205hp, and if you know anything about tpi's they have terrible high end i guess its the way the intake manifold is designed it cant really breath at higer rpms you can port it? but most guys just swap to an lt1 or a mini ram manifold but you might have some clearance issues with your stock heads, either way if ur running 13's your pretty fast just dont do anything more to the engine it has really thin cylinder walls, IMO its just a really dependable daily drive v-8 not really a race engine
Old 01-21-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

go w/ this- this is what my bro did in his-
3" flowmaster exhaust-
Dynomax 3" cat
Headers
3.73's / locker
Edelbrock intake manifold
advanced timing
Holley fuel pump
K&N air filter
MSD 6A and wires
High flow fuel filter
Shift kit / servos

that woke his car up big time!
thats all the bolts on and after that he did -

i think 180cc AFR heads
Comp cam
100 shot of nitrous w/ stock timing

everything netted him 365whp and 385ft.lbs
Old 01-21-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info guys,
I'm not interested in doing heads and a cam just yet, but headers and intake work should help me get what I am looking for.
Here is a picture of under the car. If you look closely you can see the exhaust setup. Since its a mid engine car there isn't much distance to work with.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nicksw...e2.jpg&.src=ph
Old 01-21-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

What about ignition, I'm not sure what I have actually, most likely stock since I havent found a big red MSD Box hiding around anywhere. The distributor sticks out into the trunk
Old 01-21-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nick's WS6
What about ignition, I'm not sure what I have actually, most likely stock since I havent found a big red MSD Box hiding around anywhere. The distributor sticks out into the trunk
The stock plenum and runners are killing you're top end. You said you're looking for a cheap and easy way to increase top end performance.... then why not consider an LT1 Intake swap. For the 305-TPI though, I'd recommend the "baby" LT1 intake (found in mid 90 Impala's). If I remember correctly, they're classified as the L99.

A better ignition (at this stage) can only help so much, especially if you're running the peanut cam, and you're set-up is unported.

Edit: Fixed link...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 01-21-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: opinions on a 305 TPI