Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

dynamite sounding explosions coming from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your fuel pump mechanical or electrical? Do those old novas have something like a starter enable relay? Battery low? Bad grounds? Bad starter solenoid? Loose connections? Corroded connections? Broken wires from the ignition? Just some ideas off of the top of my head. Give me a couple more symptoms and we can narrow it down.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Is your fuel pump mechanical or electrical? Do those old novas have something like a starter enable relay? Battery low? Bad grounds? Bad starter solenoid? Loose connections? Corroded connections? Broken wires from the ignition? Just some ideas off of the top of my head. Give me a couple more symptoms and we can narrow it down.
It's a Holley Black electrical fuel pump, The car is all rewired with painless wiring although I see a lot of cut wires (was like that when I got it and ran perfect) so it's hard to tell what's coming and going, the battery that was in it was supposed to be fully charged. I had it on a trickle charger a few days ago because I ran down the battery turning over the motor so much that day. I even swapped out the battery with the one out of my old RX-7 and still nothing. I was under the dash checking fuses yesterday. It has the old style glass tube-like fuses under the dash along with some up-to-date fuses I'm guessing because of all the MSD stuff under the dash. The starter is brand new so it better not be bad, I fiddled with some connections and jiggled some wires around with the fuel pump on to see if I had a loose connection and I didn't find anything. And nothing looks corroded. I almost don't wanna fool with it anymore until I take everything out of the Nova and swap it over to my truck when I get it back. That way I can just start fresh. I just wanted to crank it up every now and then until all of that took place. I bought the car knowing I was taking everything out so I'm not tremendously upset.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Teching In

When I opened up the exaust on my car it popped and banged through the exaust due to a lean condition. Also, when a car sits but gets started on occasion but not "driven" it can cause plugs to foul up even if there new. You have to bring the motor up to temp n decent rpm so the crap gets burned off and does'nt settle on them. I've had that happen a few times. That also caused popping out the exaust, and it got harder and harder to start everytime I did till it finally would not start. Soon as I put fresh plugs, bam. Ran perfect again.The old ones seem to act up more as far as the little things go when there not driven that often. Mines an 80 and shes turning into an old b***h.

Last edited by rapid_rat; 03-04-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Sounds silly but the whole time it was my power safety switch on the back of the car. It didn't have a good connection apparently because I rewired it and I had juice after that. Shockingly it didn't take much for it to crank either. I took some timing back out of it and it ran great. I wonder what will happen next week when I crank it up. I should have my truck out of the paint booth by next week so I'll be taking the motor out anyway and putting it in the truck.

Quick Reply: dynamite sounding explosions coming from exhaust