Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Points distributor, 1 or 2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Points distributor, 1 or 2?

I might be in need of a new distributor, if I do does it matter if I get a 1 or 2 point dist? Is there a difference or specific reason for one over the other.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

A Single Set Is Easyer To Tune The Double Set Was To Have A Greater Spark Length No High Amp Ignition In Those Days You Will Need A Dwell Meter And Solid Core Wires But You Radio Will Buzz Hhahahahaha Jz
Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

My first car had a dual point distributor (71 340 Dodge). I just set each set of points and didn't worry about individual or total dwell. If each set is gapped correctly,it should work fine (for that type of not-so-good ignition system).

I was told the dual point eliminated the effect of point bounce at higher rpms.

Unless you want a points ignition for stock authenticity,I would upgrade to a better system.

Last edited by shandy294; 07-25-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

I was thinking of going with a basic HEI, how hard are they to wire up, im not to good with wiring at the moment, slowly learning.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
I was thinking of going with a basic HEI, how hard are they to wire up, im not to good with wiring at the moment, slowly learning.

wiring is very simple dont let it get to you, its like a water hose has to be conected at both ends hahahhaa a HEI GM dist is a one wire and if you have a tach its 2 the cap has a plug that conects to the base thats it your existing wire might be a resistor type wire so go to a key on power source and conect it their tape off original hot wire to the original coil, it some times goes to and from the starter but thats not important, all you need is a power that comes on and stays on when cranking and after the ignition switch is in the on posision thats all an HEI needs jz
Old 07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shandy294
My first car had a dual point distributor (71 340 Dodge). I just set each set of points and didn't worry about individual or total dwell. If each set is gapped correctly,it should work fine (for that type of not-so-good ignition system).

I was told the dual point eliminated the effect of point bounce at higher rpms.

Unless you want a points ignition for stock authenticity,I would upgrade to a better system.

the early Mopar distributers only had 4 lugs on the point cam not 8 like the one you had the 8 lug is easer and you can just leave out the one set if you fase the cap to rotor location easy to do but thats not what he is doing jz

Quick Reply: Points distributor, 1 or 2?