Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

I think my firing order is off LOL (1968 camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think my firing order is off (1968 camaro)

Well I bought the car a few months back and it was sitting in my garage during winter to cold to work so I recently bought a new cap/rotor and wires. I changed the rotor, marked off all the wires and where they went, pulled the wires and dist, put on new dist, put on new wires. The car RUNS and drives but it sounds like it is mifiring, so I checked my firing order on the cap.......this is what it should look like....

and this is what mine looks like....

the number 1 plug wire is where number 4 should be and so on, could it really be that off and still run? whoever had this before me really messed something up.

Last edited by Bowtie Boy; 07-26-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Banned

It doesn't matter what terminal #1 is on as long as the rotor is at that same terminal when the #1 piston is at top dead center.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

this is very common if you re look at your firing order you will see its correct this just in a different place ( the relationship of the rotor to cap location ) you can re locate the distrubtor but if you do not know how have someone who does help you and it will do nothing -- it will not run any different un less you change the timming or leave off a vacume line if it bothers you than go for it and make it correct as the proper location goes but in many street rods sometimes the cap screw clips are in the way of the fire wall and the location has to be altered to work correctly jz
Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

The same thing happened to me on the original 350 in my old '69. I changed the wires and assumed they were in the usual order, but I was one off b/c my buddy who I got the car from had the #1 wire on the usual #8 terminal. Re-wired them and it purred like a kitten.

Quick Reply: I think my firing order is off LOL (1968 camaro)