Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

305 tpi to carbed 388 fueling

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 305 tpi to carbed 388 fueling

Hi
I have a 1990 IROC-Z conv A4 305 tpi ....

in the shop a pre 1987 350 block with 400 crank and rods with forged trw .060 .150 dome according to the mechanic with ported stock 350 ci iron heads and ehhim a stock 350 ci hydrolic cam non roller (propably a sealed power one no specs yet for a 1 month warranty on piston rings and bearing failure) and 1.6 roller rockers all of that fixed back on the stock tpi unit with stock injectors and stock prom! (he said it`ll work and not lean out that much)
to be started by tuesday to thursday)

my question is I want to put heads/cam/carb on it in the future so what fuel pump and is the stock fuel rails enough? keep in mind I`m in a country where in summer temperatures reach +50 C in the shade! so I want a street pump for cruesing not a strip only pump ... an opinion is to fix an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the stock elictrical pump with a return line back to the tank from the regulator any other opinions on how to deliver fuel to the carb in my case?

a race parts shop said about the holley electrical pumps that they don`t survive street use here .... and the mechanical pump failed to mount on a 1991 Z28 carbed 383 pre 1987 non roller engine in the car due to lack of space (it hits the chassis or the right side upper control arm) so that guy went as per the raceshop recommendation with a Mercedes 1990 and lower external electrical fuel pump with a regulator!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill try to add my .02 here..ive got a tbi motor with a carb on it..i DID use a holley red series electric pump and have been on it for 3 years with no problems..i didnt even pull my stock pump out, i just put the pump where the orig fuel filter was and pull through the stocker. I know MANY people who go the regulator way. Put a regulator on the stock pump and roll with it. Im not sure, but i think you have to make sure the computer has no control over the factory fuel pump relay. i cant say which is a better option..i do think it will flow plenty of fuel though either way with the stock lines.

also www.thirdgen.org has ANYthing you want to know..im sure there are a gazillin threads on this topic over there..register and start searching..good folks over there as well.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

go with a holly blue a lot better for the money
Old 08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the replys

but for the idea with the electric carb fuel pump in place of the outer fuel filter did you disconnect the electricity to the stock fuel pump and run only the holley pump? or running both?
Old 08-22-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no no, the stock pump is not hooked up electrically..i mean the sending unit and stuff is still getting power for the guage but the pump relay is gone from under the hood. The way i did it is probably not near the best way to do it, but it works fine.. it would be better to pull the tank and pump and just put a pickup or hose or soemthing in place of the pump but to hell with it..plus...in the event i wanted to go back to fuel injection i could just put the relay back in and run it. I thought the blue pump was a race pump is it not? i went with the red bec i wouldnt have to run a regulator with it..dont you have to run one with the blue?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man

but it didn`t go well .... the man that wanted to sell the engine to me called and said he eon`t finish the engine in time because he is very busy and he`ll travel in friday so he asked if I`d like to buy the engine without installation or have my money back so I picked the money it was for about $2200 turn key wich in prices here in Kuwait was ok.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

u should be able to just hook the blue to ur return line and use that or u could do what i did for a while and just put it on the regular fuel line and the blue pull past the stock pump. and no the blue is not a race pump only it has a reg. so u can adjust the press.for ur application i just like the blues better i have had a lot of problems with the red

Quick Reply: 305 tpi to carbed 388 fueling