Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Difference between Weiand 144 and 177 blowers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference between Weiand 144 and 177 blowers?

What is the big differences between these two blowers? Anyone running either of these or have an opinion on them?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Besides one being larger than the other, I believe they list them in cubic inches (Internal Volume)for a reference to it's pumping capability. Larger rotors and larger case moves more air/CFM.

The numbers related to these blower sizes, such as 144 (I think ya mean 142) and 177 relate to the amount of air in cubic inches that is pumped by the blower in one blower revolution.

(Straight from Weiand)
To be more specific, the Pro-Street/ Marine 142 makes an
excellent low to midrange blower for a 350 Chevy. The 6-71
is best for mid to high rpm ranges. The 8-71 is for all-out
competition style engines that will see high rpm usage. The
Pro-Street 177 is a good all-around compromise that will perform well across the board, but it still won’t deliver as much power as the 6-71 or 8-71 at extreme engine speeds. These recommendations are based on setting up all three blowers at a similar boost output.

At very low engine speeds, the smaller blowers will typically produce more torque than the bigger blowers. At very high engine speeds, the larger blowers will produce substantially more power than the smaller blowers.

For big blocks, Weiand offers the Pro-Street 177 for good
low to midrange power, the 6-71 for strong mid to highrange power, and the 8-71 or large displacement, high
boost/rpm engines. The Pro-Street 256 is a good all around
compromise. Again, the 6-71 will outperform the smaller blowers in the high rpm ranges.

I'm more familiar with Grain Vacuums on the farm which uses 320ci roots blowers driven by a 300hp 6cyl diesel to transfer grain from the trucks to silos. Ok...so I'm a redneck. Anyway...that's the best I can come up with

Last edited by Rabidbandit; 12-27-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rabidbandit

I'm more familiar with Grain Vacuums on the farm which uses 320ci roots blowers driven by a 300hp 6cyl diesel to transfer grain from the trucks to silos. Ok...so I'm a redneck. Anyway...that's the best I can come up with
We're starting to use centrifugals for that now. Grain and light plastic particles are areas that centrifugals are being inplemented. You don't need nearly as much power with a centrifugal to blow the media.

Quick Reply: Difference between Weiand 144 and 177 blowers?