Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

screaming!!! 283...i swapped into my 85 s-10 rcsb

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by joewee350
Im not a complete idiot. Vortec heads are decent but are by no means high flowing heads. I would bet my heads flow a great deal more than yours but Im not going over 6500rpm. Just because you have a little motor doesnt mean it will wind up like a top and still perform. There is no way that tiny cam is making power up top. My cam is a decent bit bigger and it is finished making power around 6k. I am questioning the ability of a hydraulic flat tappet cam to spin to 7300 rpm. I did not think it was mechanically possible to do it with that cam and not break something.

DECENT!!!!....DECENT....im thru here... oh and uh u have a 350ci this is a 283 the engine dynamics are two different realms.... this 447 lift cam is good for a pull to 5 grand in a 350... on mine its good for 6500 the only reason i didnt go with a lil more wuz bcuz i wouldnt have the compression on the street to pull it off.... i combined this motor the strongest i could with the 10:1 comp. ratio withut going 2 a roller setup...which would probably let me do 8000 with the right heads/compression combo.....well the cam pulls strong to 7 grand ez becuas of the heads...camelheads wouldnt allow me to rap that high i guaranteeeee it.....and the flat tappet is working fine hasnt broke...and its running fine sooooo anything else??????
Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

When the novelty of RPM wears off you will realize that what you have is just 80% of a 350 and likely a waste of time and your money. (but really who the hell am I to say) If you keep it put in used parts, that way you won't be out all that much.

All 283's are small journal with 2 bolt blocks and 11/32" rod bolts.

In the 60's the big thing was to bore the engine .125" and make it a 301 as they called it. Other 4" x 3" are called 302's.

A 283 is a helluva workhorse and very durable. It was also the first engine by Chevrolet to make 1 hp per cu in. This being said they are very durable because of the short stroke and thick cylinder walls. They don't make enough cylinder pressure to hurt themselves.

This engine may be very new to you, but its not to everybody. It turns high rpm because it has to, not becasue its some super high output engine. Its tiny and fairly fuel efficient, it was also surpassed in performance 40 years ago.

Enjoy your hot rod.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andereck
When the novelty of RPM wears off you will realize that what you have is just 80% of a 350 and likely a waste of time and your money. (but really who the hell am I to say) If you keep it put in used parts, that way you won't be out all that much.

All 283's are small journal with 2 bolt blocks and 11/32" rod bolts.

In the 60's the big thing was to bore the engine .125" and make it a 301 as they called it. Other 4" x 3" are called 302's.

A 283 is a helluva workhorse and very durable. It was also the first engine by Chevrolet to make 1 hp per cu in. This being said they are very durable because of the short stroke and thick cylinder walls. They don't make enough cylinder pressure to hurt themselves.

This engine may be very new to you, but its not to everybody. It turns high rpm because it has to, not becasue its some super high output engine. Its tiny and fairly fuel efficient, it was also surpassed in performance 40 years ago.

Enjoy your hot rod.

LOL, its not new 2 me...i just thought id be a fun motor and i know theyre capable....soooo i did what i did to show up all these morons...I mean i can still build it 2 a strong street runner makin 360hp on a full roller setup
Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZL1camaro
DECENT!!!!....DECENT....im thru here... oh and uh u have a 350ci this is a 283 the engine dynamics are two different realms.... this 447 lift cam is good for a pull to 5 grand in a 350... on mine its good for 6500 the only reason i didnt go with a lil more wuz bcuz i wouldnt have the compression on the street to pull it off.... i combined this motor the strongest i could with the 10:1 comp. ratio withut going 2 a roller setup...which would probably let me do 8000 with the right heads/compression combo.....well the cam pulls strong to 7 grand ez becuas of the heads...camelheads wouldnt allow me to rap that high i guaranteeeee it.....and the flat tappet is working fine hasnt broke...and its running fine sooooo anything else??????

Work on your grammar and spelling a little. I got a headache trying to read it. Bottom line...you pulled a low 12 second motor out for a mid 13 second engine just to prove what...that the smaller motor is slower and you had to rev it to the moon to get a 13? The point was proven.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Work on your grammar and spelling a little. I got a headache trying to read it. Bottom line...you pulled a low 12 second motor out for a mid 13 second engine just to prove what...that the smaller motor is slower and you had to rev it to the moon to get a 13? The point was proven.

What is this Comp1 ? Im not trying to impress anyone here..., plus its the internet dawg and "ur" crampin my style...i write how i like online...i wrote a 4 on my SAT's and i was exempt from my thea sooooo id say that implies im a good writer....im not gonna dot my eyes and cross my t's just cuz u want me 2. However i do posses the ability to write a very sophisticated essay, not to mention im a lyrical genius ....heh i write songs ...good 1's 2!

As for the build....just a fun build to show some people that dont know a whole lot ...what these motors are capable of. This motor has the potential to run deep 13's on a strong steet combo... to me thats impressive from a 4.6 liter chevy thats 40 years old and wont break.....you can beat on it alllldayyyy ...aaand i like that =P.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I built a 283 for my '65 Chevelle, with a muncie 4-sp. that little bastard ran 12.40's all day. If you want I will list exactly what was done to that engine. In fact that 283 ripped 3rd gear out of that Muncie at 8300 Rpm's, and it was the sole reason I went to an auto in that car.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

nicccce....lol maybe this guy will reead what u just wrote and leave me alone already....so what did u have???? alot of compression, tunnelram, solid cam???? lol right on the money i bet.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was +.030 (288 cid) with TRW forged flat tops,milled 292 Fullie heads that were ported, I mean they were PORTED! A Victor jr., and a 780 cfm Holley dbl. pmpr,with a one inch wood spacer. And believe it or not I ran the factory 2nd design off road LT1 cam. It was a solid lifter cam that was a bit radical for the small displacement, that cam was designed for the competition '70 350 LT1, but it was a factory grind. I shifted that little **** at 8300 RPM's. I ran a muncie M-21, with the close ratio M-22 cluster gear, and 4.33 gears. Or maybe it was the M-21 with the M-20 cluster? I forgett exactly, I know the trany was set up with the close ratio cluster. Hell that might be why it failed!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sry bro this is LS1tech...u know the guys that didnt buy those pos!...theres no research needed,....im goin by the simple fact that everybody know those cars are ****...as far as the weight thing... ok when my ls1 has a full tank and my 235 lbs. in it its a 3900 lb. car...happy!?...."research" is my middle name .... on h.p. tv they put a vortech on a 4.6 stang and put down like 288 hp with headers, full exhaust and cai...when the stock 01 ls1 z28 right next 2 it was putting down like 277,...aaaand on speed vision on tunervision they did the same ...they dropped the 0-60 time from like 5.5s to 5.0s..AFTER A Vortech supercharger!!!!!!

Mind what you say, your the one looking very damn ignorant
Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

What is this Comp1 ? Im not trying to impress anyone here..., plus its the internet dawg and "ur" crampin my style...i write how i like online...i wrote a 4 on my SAT's and i was exempt from my thea sooooo id say that implies im a good writer....im not gonna dot my eyes and cross my t's just cuz u want me 2. However i do posses the ability to write a very sophisticated essay, not to mention im a lyrical genius ....heh i write songs ...good 1's 2!

As for the build....just a fun build to show some people that dont know a whole lot ...what these motors are capable of. This motor has the potential to run deep 13's on a strong steet combo... to me thats impressive from a 4.6 liter chevy thats 40 years old and wont break.....you can beat on it alllldayyyy ...aaand i like that =P.

How can one be a lyrical genius and possess the ability to write a sophisticated essay yet still write like you? Thats like someone who would talk normally all day then go back to babytalk ga ga goo goo just for the heck of it.

As for your build...how is it a strong street combo if you have to rev so high and still only get 13s. I was just pointing out that you are losing a great deal of power shifting so high with a tiny hydraulic flat tappet cam. The other gentleman has a solid cam and other supporting mods Im sure to rev so high. Thumbs up for doing something different but thumbs down for thinking its something that its not...a strong street combo.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

How can one be a lyrical genius and possess the ability to write a sophisticated essay yet still write like you? Thats like someone who would talk normally all day then go back to babytalk ga ga goo goo just for the heck of it.

As for your build...how is it a strong street combo if you have to rev so high and still only get 13s. I was just pointing out that you are losing a great deal of power shifting so high with a tiny hydraulic flat tappet cam. The other gentleman has a solid cam and other supporting mods Im sure to rev so high. Thumbs up for doing something different but thumbs down for thinking its something that its not...a strong street combo.
lol...mmmm key word is combo!!!! and keep in mind this izzz a V-8... it has torque, during daily driving im shifting at 2500 rpm...and this is in a very light vehicle...do u c where im goin wit dis rev happy motor-light vehicle requiring no effort in daily driver. As for cam..... im begining to think that,... u think the rpm range on a cam is what it says it is on the box, despite the applicatin. the same exact cam spins to 6500+ in a 327ci that means in a smaller motor, like mine with given mods ....allow it to pulll strong to 7 grand....whos driving the truck me right...k i win. Roller setup coming soon!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

I wanna race you in my Mustang....its slow, only a CAI and exhaust and a gear. so according to Horsepower TV my car should have what maybe 200whp? cause seeing as how I dont have a blower or anything. let me know bro! I want some of that chebby!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Teh Wicked
I wanna race you in my Mustang....its slow, only a CAI and exhaust and a gear. so according to Horsepower TV my car should have what maybe 200whp? cause seeing as how I dont have a blower or anything. let me know bro! I want some of that chebby!
Why is your Mustang almost 600 lbs heavier than all the other '03's? If you are refering to race weight, then go on a diet!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
Why is your Mustang almost 600 lbs heavier than all the other '03's? If you are refering to race weight, then go on a diet!
cause of the big stereo in the back, and im 6' 5" 230lbs...
Old 01-03-2007, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

lol...mmmm key word is combo!!!! and keep in mind this izzz a V-8... it has torque, during daily driving im shifting at 2500 rpm...and this is in a very light vehicle...do u c where im goin wit dis rev happy motor-light vehicle requiring no effort in daily driver. As for cam..... im begining to think that,... u think the rpm range on a cam is what it says it is on the box, despite the applicatin. the same exact cam spins to 6500+ in a 327ci that means in a smaller motor, like mine with given mods ....allow it to pulll strong to 7 grand....whos driving the truck me right...k i win. Roller setup coming soon!!!

I dont care what engine you put that cam in...the maximum rpm of the LIFTER isnt going to go up. The lifters will pump up and cause valve float above 6500rpm. Thats what happens with a hydraulic flat tappet lifter unless you have some sort of high performance lifter and you might get away with a tad higher. So, I am not disagreeing that you cant rev it to 7300, there is no way its making power at 7300. Roller setup coming soon?? You gonna spend another 800 bucks on a retro-fit roller setup? Why not just go solid?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Teching In

ZL1: Glad to see someone building something different instead of following the crowd! I used to have a 406 s-10 many years ago, what a blast! Have fun with your project!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Teh Wicked

wellll that 1 was a 98' gt .... i think the heads on those suck even more on those ....hence the 200 whp...as for urs...the better perf. improved heads...should yield 220-245 whp...with ur bolt ons.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you enjoy your 283 for what it is, fun & different. And you are correct, as displacement goes down, the relative cam size increases. A wild cam in a 283 would be docile in a 406.

Also, lets not forget LS1's can rev 7000+ rpm with their heavier hydraulic roller lifters. 7300 is not impossible for a hydraulic flat tappet.

Now instead of wasting the money on a roller setup, why not bump the compression up to 11:1 and slide a 30/30 solid in there. Put some 4.56's out back and let it eat!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

I didnt say it was impossible to rev there. I said that its probably not making power at 7300. I will say that it probably sounds pretty mean at that high rpm.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hammertime
Hope you enjoy your 283 for what it is, fun & different. And you are correct, as displacement goes down, the relative cam size increases. A wild cam in a 283 would be docile in a 406.

Also, lets not forget LS1's can rev 7000+ rpm with their heavier hydraulic roller lifters. 7300 is not impossible for a hydraulic flat tappet.

Now instead of wasting the money on a roller setup, why not bump the compression up to 11:1 and slide a 30/30 solid in there. Put some 4.56's out back and let it eat!

thank you. ...And i cant consider solid becasue i wanted it as a daily driver...i dont wann have to re-adjust rockers once a week or more...since i drive it soo hard. But thats what i like...driving hard, and not worrying about it breaking The wonders of a 283 lol, short 3 inch stroke&forged.

Quick Reply: screaming!!! 283...i swapped into my 85 s-10 rcsb