Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

need help with roller cam setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with roller cam setup

I have decided to go with a roller cam since ive got it tore down, What all do i kneed to do this i have never ran a roller cam in a non roller block. The block i have is a mid 70's 4 bolt i need to know what lifters to run and length of push rods and what cam button to run, do i knwwd to change my timing chain i was running it on a reg flat tappet cam i know i will kneed to get a bronze distributor gear and a bronze fuel pump push rod thanks
Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My01SSCamaro
I have decided to go with a roller cam since ive got it tore down, What all do i kneed to do this i have never ran a roller cam in a non roller block. The block i have is a mid 70's 4 bolt i need to know what lifters to run and length of push rods and what cam button to run, do i knwwd to change my timing chain i was running it on a reg flat tappet cam i know i will kneed to get a bronze distributor gear and a bronze fuel pump push rod thanks
Just a cam button and a new timing set. If you don't go too aggressive on lift, your stock length pushrods will work. Almost all SBC roller cams have cast iron distributor drive gears now, so you shouldn't need a bronze gear. Don't cheap out on the lifters though, get good hydraulic rollers, they will cost you, but well worht it.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also retrofitting my 355 Marine motor this winter.

roller cam button & retainer plate, retrofit lifters are much longer than FT lifters requiring a much shorter pushrod, the only way to be exact is to check with a pushrod checker, Comp HE retrofit lifters, I recently found them New for $358! Comp Roller cam, found new for $243 shipped.

The bronze gears are crap IMO, especially with all the chinese grade bronze out there. Watch out for the $15 bronze gears. Either go with the Comp Poly gear or a GM Melonized gear. Crane also introduced a steel gear for use with roller cams.

I'm still not up on the timing chain issue. What would be different about the Timing chain? Will my Cloyes Hex Adj not work with a Hyd roller cam? I can see why a 87+ roller block would require a different chain but I will still be using an pre 87 block.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With a cam button you don't need a retainer plate. And A new gear is needed just because it is good practice, especially when going from a flat tappet to a roller.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

just tell the technical rep. ur speaking to that your retrofitting....in jegs the pushrods are labeled as {retrofit for pre 87 sbc's} so those ...aaand some roller lifters with locking bars....aaand roller rockers, of course the cam of ur choice...cam buttons are like 15bux...the bronze gear no doubt.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Be sure to get the right pushrods. I had a bad experience years ago with retrofiting an older block and not having the right geometry.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the input

Quick Reply: need help with roller cam setup