Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

2 bolt main block vs 4 bolt main block

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The stunningman
#1.... I have built personally many 350 and 400 SBC's that push well over 450 hp with 2 bolt mains. And have several race cars that run at the track at VMP. No magazine article needed Sherman reference was someone that actually tells it like it is yes he will recomend a 4 bolt but if you got it and want to use it he will tell you where the line is. 400 hp isn't the line buddy.

#2.... You haven't truthfully answered his question

Can it be done and reliably... Yes is the TRUE answer . It has been done Many a time.

He's not asking can he run 8,000 rpm for 500 miles he's asking if he can make 400 hp for his driver theres a big difference there.

You find 1 "supposed example" as a total truth ...But wow your business is selling machine work.... even block machine work. Coincidence I think not. PLEASE tell this to all these guys at the local track running sub 11's 1/4 mile times with their 2 bolt main engines. Especially the 86 up late model guys which have a harder time finding 4 bolts. Better yet question them having a true 400 hp engine because it doesn't have a 4 bolt mains. Just go over there and tell them they need to pull it apart and have you convert it to 4 bolt mains while handing them your price sheet.

Feel free to start questioning my references. I need to prove nothing. I 'm not trying to sell anything. I can give many examples of over 400 even 500 hp 2 bolt main engines. The latter requiring some prep.

Now you say you have built many engines so saying that you must have your own shop and equipment?????

Many engines how much is that 50 a year or 2 or 3 a year or 1 a year or what.

We spec out a lot of engines and if we were building a 400 horse engine that we was going to be dynoed not Desk top dynoed I would feel that the engine would vbe much more dependable using a good 4 bolt block as we have seen what happens when the right block is not used.

Our biggest bussiness is circle track engines and we deal with other shop all over the U.S. and Canada and as far as I know there not using 2 bolt blocks for there applications, Some of our 2 barrel engines with 450 lift cams and 11:01 compression make about 375 horse but have 440 foot pounds of tourque on the dyno and on those engines we require a good 4 bolt block. We have seen some guys try the 2 bolt blocks and they don't fair very well after a season of running.

To anser the question if we were building the engine we would use a 4 bolt block but again you may get away with a 2 bolt but I feel a 4 bolt is much more dependable over a 2 bolt.

It sounds like you have done more research on this then the engineers at GM and I am sure if you could talk to GM as they are more qualified then you and on the true HP of a 2 bolt main.

I post on about 25 website and answer a lot of emails and phone calls on engine problems and machine work and we deal with a lot of engine builders and engine shops all over.

Now to compare apples to apples are you an engine builder that runs a performance shop or are you just an assembler working out of a 1 bay garage that just buys parts and bolts them together.

As I know most performance engine builders that I know are not using 2 bolt blocks for there engines over 400 horse and we have a very good reputation for what we build as far as engines and what we do for machine work.

Here is a good link on what we do far work and if we going to spend the time on blue print machining a block we are going to start with good peice some thing that will be depneable which is the key word here.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93124

Again how many engines do you assemble a year????
Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

There is a guy over at turbomustangs that has been running his 2 bolt at 600 horse/ 600 torque for three months or so now... daily driver...
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"To anser the question if we were building the engine we would use a 4 bolt block but again you may get away with a 2 bolt but I feel a 4 bolt is much more dependable over a 2 bolt."

Thats getting closer to the truth.

CNC Blocks NE...Are you a sponsor? Do you realize that the forum has strict policies on business's posting and trying to get work off here. When I make posts it is I..ME .. MYSELF.
However, When you make post's its WE, US our company. Go through your past posts....Your like a informercial. 1st you state it can't be done... then it can be done. You actually list off prices on a few post.

I can't care less how many Blocks engines "Your company" does a year or how many your company builds. You could be the "Janitor at CNC Blocks NE" for all I know. My business is just that. I make my post here on my own account. At least I call a spade a spade unlike you.

Last edited by The stunningman; 02-02-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

"To anser the question if we were building the engine we would use a 4 bolt block but again you may get away with a 2 bolt but I feel a 4 bolt is much more dependable over a 2 bolt."

Thats getting closer to the truth.

CNC Blocks NE...Are you a sponsor? Do you realize that the forum has strict policies on business's posting and trying to get work off here. When I make posts it is I..ME .. MYSELF.
However, When you make post's its WE, US our company. Go through your past posts....Your like a informercial. 1st you state it can't be done... then it can be done. You actually list off prices on a few post.

I can't care less how many Blocks engines "Your company" does a year or how many your company builds. You could be the "Janitor at CNC Blocks NE" for all I know. My business is just that. I make my post here on my own account. At least I call a spade a spade unlike you.
ARE YOU THE MODERRATOR??????? I am sure if I over stepped my boundery here thy will let me know.

I don't think I ever posted it cant be done. You said (my business is that) what does that mean ???? is this your daily job???? as you keep blowing of my question here as I am tring to compare apples to apples here.

I try to post factual info on what we have found over the years and what has worked and what has not worked. These are my finding.

I have got several emails about this subject and form what I have read I am not very for off from what I have posted.

I will PM you my link to what I do ENJOY
Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 AM
9 Second Club

Nope I'm not a moderator. Do you really think they read every post or thread?

"You said (my business is that) what does that mean ???? is this your daily job???? as you keep blowing of my question here as I am tring to compare apples to apples here."

I need to answer nothing to you the fact you are comparing a RACE engine to a street car engine says a lot. The most important thing is my findings are True and easily substantiated. However you have a block from a RACE engine that had cap walk at a supposed 420hp.

Every guy that gets on the internet seems to play up who they are. You could be Bill Gates cousin or John Forces crew chief. I can't care less who you are as much as what you state. I build Race engines as well as Street engines If I told a guy I couldn't make a 400 hp-450 hp street engine with his 2 bolt block I might as well shut my doors. Because they will find someone who will. 4 bolts are nice but are also a luxury at this level ESPECIALLY on a street car. 14 second to 1 minute for the really enthused drivers is a whole different ball game than 8k for 20+ minutes.

So keep comparing apples to apples.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Nope I'm not a moderator. Do you really think they read every post or thread?

"You said (my business is that) what does that mean ???? is this your daily job???? as you keep blowing of my question here as I am tring to compare apples to apples here."

I need to answer nothing to you the fact you are comparing a RACE engine to a street car engine says a lot. The most important thing is my findings are True and easily substantiated. However you have a block from a RACE engine that had cap walk at a supposed 420hp.

Every guy that gets on the internet seems to play up who they are. You could be Bill Gates cousin or John Forces crew chief. I can't care less who you are as much as what you state. I build Race engines as well as Street engines If I told a guy I couldn't make a 400 hp-450 hp street engine with his 2 bolt block I might as well shut my doors. Because they will find someone who will. 4 bolts are nice but are also a luxury at this level ESPECIALLY on a street car. 14 second to 1 minute for the really enthused drivers is a whole different ball game than 8k for 20+ minutes.

So keep comparing apples to apples.
The customers we deal with want the best money can buy and we don't build many street engines only a few in the summer if we are slow in the shops and you being an engine builder what do have as far as equipment that what I am tring to commpare to thats all and how many engines do deal with in a year.

Thats all I am asking

I could build a 450 horse street engine with a 2 blolt main block no problem there but from what I have seen I really don't think its the right way to go and I would go to a better 4 bolt cap.

We have a good rep for doing a good job and the few blocks we see that guys have over powered the 2 bolt main caps we never see this so I must be doing some thing right.

We built a 383 that made 455 horse and 501 on the torque and this done on a Super flow Dyno no DD dyno and the customer came up with a good 2482 cap block. I really think with the number this made that a 2 bolt would not have stood up as good as 2482 cap block. And this engine is daily driver and the customer is very happy so far.

Here is link and maybe you will figue out I am no a janator LOL
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...highlight=DYNO
Old 02-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Launching!

the biggest factor to consider in this debate is circle trak and Drag, 2 diff worlds for a motors endurance. a 600 hp 2 bolt will hold up in drag racing may hold up for seasons.. where it wont hold up to constant 5-7k rpm for how ever many laps. Obviously bearing caps will make a diff in circle track. Im not saying drag motors are half *** or anything.. but you can get way with oiling and integrity issues longer in drag racing comapred to a long endurance race, i give props to motor builders in circle track/nascar to see a motor hold up that long to that abuse!! imagine your drag car at the end of the quater and you still got 5 miles to go wot. would that 2 bolt stay together then?? maybe.. maybe not
Old 02-02-2007, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

my dad had a nova with a 468 and it was only a 2 bolt and the car ran 9.20s @154 and it held together no problem
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smokin2002
the biggest factor to consider in this debate is circle trak and Drag, 2 diff worlds for a motors endurance. a 600 hp 2 bolt will hold up in drag racing may hold up for seasons.. where it wont hold up to constant 5-7k rpm for how ever many laps. Obviously bearing caps will make a diff in circle track. Im not saying drag motors are half *** or anything.. but you can get way with oiling and integrity issues longer in drag racing comapred to a long endurance race, i give props to motor builders in circle track/nascar to see a motor hold up that long to that abuse!! imagine your drag car at the end of the quater and you still got 5 miles to go wot. would that 2 bolt stay together then?? maybe.. maybe not

When we spec an engine out that is going to be 450 to 600 horse we don't care if its for drag racing or circle track engine cause if its 500 horse its 500 horse and if we don't use what we think is a good enough block and if there was a problem like what I have seen the past 34 years of building performance engines we would end up fixing the problems out of our own pocket.

And most guys that are going to build a 500 plus horse don't have any problem with using a good block as a good foundation to start with as it cost a lot of money for that kind of HP.

Now when they made the 400 two bolt main block they made the registers and caps wider to handle the extra power and torque and if they did that on the 350 blocks we would not the damage of over powering small 2 bolt cap.

And if the GM two blocks were good for 500 or 600 horse why did GM even build a 4 bolt block for HMMMMMMM???????

And BBC 2 bolt also uses a wide cap and register which makes the main caps more stable in there register.

This is a real good link to read if you have time.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38173
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Wait a second CNC blocks, I too would take issue with the fact that the application had a direct effect on longevity. The rods alone see hell on dirt track motors from the engine braking going into turns at 8K RPM.

I really don't see the need to have splayed mains anyway on a 650hp 355/388 ci dirt track motor. Standard four-bolt mains have proven to be plenty reliable... but then again we don't have a CNC multi-axis machine that preps blocks and drills them for splayed mains. Just new GM standard 4-bolt main blocks.

Besides what kind of 500hp motors are you building? Street stock?

Ben T.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Studytime
Wait a second CNC blocks, I too would take issue with the fact that the application had a direct effect on longevity. The rods alone see hell on dirt track motors from the engine braking going into turns at 8K RPM.

I really don't see the need to have splayed mains anyway on a 650hp 355/388 ci dirt track motor. Standard four-bolt mains have proven to be plenty reliable... but then again we don't have a CNC multi-axis machine that preps blocks and drills them for splayed mains. Just new GM standard 4-bolt main blocks.

Besides what kind of 500hp motors are you building? Street stock?

Ben T.
Like I said if we are going build an engine thats 500 horse and run it on the dyno for most of the day its going to be a good block, That we think will do the job and be dependable which is the KEY word here as we have seen what happens when the right parts are not used.

Here is a 668 horse circle track engine its a Dart block with all the bells and whistles, lightened, decked, bored, 50MM cam tunnel, .875 lifter bores, line honed, dry sump ETC and it makes 668 horse.

And this one is over 1500 horse 380 cubic inch with a 8-71 SSI blower our shop did all the machine work and we built the intake and mag drive on the front of the engine.

And what type of engines do you build stock engines. LOL just comparing apples to apples here.

We have been putting on splayed caps bbefore we got the CNC machine the only differance is it only takes 19 minuts to cut the registers for flat bottom caps and drill and tap. And so far all the engine builders and shops we supply blocks to have no ordered any 2 bolt blocks yet. What up wth that.

Most guys that argue about 4 bolt VS 2 bolt block don't own any shop and maybe just assemble a couple engines a year that are never dynoed on an engine dyno as most guys guess at what they have for HP which is not factual information.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
Most guys that argue about 4 bolt VS 2 bolt block don't own any shop and maybe just assemble a couple engines a year that are never dynoed on an engine dyno as most guys guess at what they have for HP which is not factual information.
Then there's that occasional guy on the net that's fought with lining up the splines on an engine dyno driveshaft more times than he cares to remember and can install a set of stahl headers in four and half minutes... literally.

I wasn't asking if you built "stock" engines. I was saying that a 500hp dirt track engine must be a "street stock" engine.

Ben T.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Studytime
Then there's that occasional guy on the net that's fought with lining up the splines on an engine dyno driveshaft more times than he cares to remember and can install a set of stahl headers in four and half minutes... literally.

I wasn't asking if you built "stock" engines. I was saying that a 500hp dirt track engine must be a "street stock" engine.

Ben T.
So far we have never built any dirt track engines. Where did you come up with that?????

And the steet stock engines around here are that they are just about stock and we have no interest in building engines using stock parts!!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:27 AM

So far we have never built any dirt track engines. Where did you come up with that?????

And the steet stock engines around here are that they are just about stock and we have no interest in building engines using stock parts!!
You already led me to believe you haven't build any dirt track engines solely based on the comments you made up to this point.

Oh, "street stock" engines are not a "stock" engines as the name implies.

Regards,
Ben T.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

We have ....We are ... We build top of the line blah ...blah ...blah.....We are gonna ream ur a$$ of all your money.. We can't tell ,that this guy that started this thread, is not looking for 668 hp circle track engine or a Blown 1500 HP 8-71 blower motor because comparing them is:
"LOL just comparing apples to apples here."

You are the only guy in the whole forum that builds engines over 400 hp.

"Most guys that argue about 4 bolt VS 2 bolt block don't own any shop and maybe just assemble a couple engines a year that are never dynoed on an engine dyno as most guys guess at what they have for HP which is not factual information."

LMAO @ you ! Your right it can't be done everyone who ever done it and will continue to do it is an idiot. Their dyno #'s and timeslips are total fabrication because You and your gang said so.

We. We....

"at our shop if a block is sent to us to machine we sonic test the block first then we bake and blast the block and mag for cracks and line hone the block with a new set of ARP main bolts and square and deck the block to zero or there recomended deck height,cut the bottom of the cylinders for extra rod clearance for stroker cranks ETC, bore the cylinders and torque plate hone plus clearance the lifter bores with a ridgid Sunnen hone and final clean for 595.00 and all our work is done in a HAAS 4-axis CNC machining center."

Now noone here is calling you a total dumbass...but why are you still arguing this when you state above it can be done... you and your gang just wouldn't? Looks like someone is looking for some free advertising here.

BTW those floors look like crap...Get back to work.

Last edited by The stunningman; 02-03-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

We have ....We are ... We build top of the line blah ...blah ...blah.....We are gonna ream ur a$$ of all your money.. We can't tell ,that this guy that started this thread, is not looking for 668 hp circle track engine or a Blown 1500 HP 8-71 blower motor because comparing them is:
"LOL just comparing apples to apples here."

You are the only guy in the whole forum that builds engines over 400 hp.

"Most guys that argue about 4 bolt VS 2 bolt block don't own any shop and maybe just assemble a couple engines a year that are never dynoed on an engine dyno as most guys guess at what they have for HP which is not factual information."

LMAO @ you ! Your right it can't be done everyone who ever done it and will continue to do it is an idiot. Their dyno #'s and timeslips are total fabrication because You and your gang said so.

We. We....

"at our shop if a block is sent to us to machine we sonic test the block first then we bake and blast the block and mag for cracks and line hone the block with a new set of ARP main bolts and square and deck the block to zero or there recomended deck height,cut the bottom of the cylinders for extra rod clearance for stroker cranks ETC, bore the cylinders and torque plate hone plus clearance the lifter bores with a ridgid Sunnen hone and final clean for 595.00 and all our work is done in a HAAS 4-axis CNC machining center."

Now noone here is calling you a total dumbass...but why are you still arguing this when you state above it can be done... you and your gang just wouldn't? Looks like someone is looking for some free advertising here.

BTW those floors look like crap...Get back to work.
There will always be guys that build 400 plus horse power engines using 2 bolt main 350 blocks it happens all the time but at pur shop we feel that with that much power a good 4 bolt would be more reliable over a 2 bolt as thats a no brainer here.

I must have wrote what we do to a block because we were asked what is cost to do a block as we post on any website wher we are asked as there must have been other that posted what it cost to have a block machined I am sure of that.

Hey The stunningman I know I PMed you and you cried about it but what do you do for work as I don't really like to know and so would a few other people on this site as you have not aswered this question yet.

I really don't believe you read any of the link I posted as this has always been a good debate on a lot of forums and there is a lot of good info there.

I am basing my info on a lot of engines and blocks we have seen over the years as some people post I had one engine that has run for 5 years and no problems, Good info but on one engine.

I will try to get a hold or an engineer at GM and ask them what they rate a 2 bolt block at and I reallly doubt its mor then GM rated there 4 bolt block at.

AGAIN WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK. aND HOW MANY ENGINES A YEAR DO YOU BUILD

And if some askes what it costs to machine a block I will post what we do and what it cost as we do quotes all the time. As there are always other quotes I'm sure do cry about them as well LOL.

And why are you cring about it????
Old 02-03-2007, 10:15 AM
9 Second Club

"Hey The stunningman I know I PMed you and you cried about it."

LMAO

You sure are one lonely guy.... this is what you pm'd me word for word.... and my responses. Don't try going behind the scenes. When you get lonely go find someone else to look up. I limit my info because I feel its the proper thing to do... if you don't agree I can't care less.

Here is a link to my website http://www.cncblocksnortheast.com/ and go to the speedtalk site and ask if I am the janitor or not.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/

Send me your link or are you just a bolt on boy here that does not even own a shop or equipment and the emails I have got about you mostly say your very misleading on this subject.

I see there is nothing much in your profile page what up with that.

The stunningman HMMMMMMMMMM
>>>>The fact that I am not misleading in what I type should say enough. I have nothing to prove to you. The people reading the thread know who is telling the TRUTH and who is not. What I have stated has been true. What you think of me means nothing to me. Good luck selling machine work here.

What do do for work as I beleive you have nothing to do with machining and building engines that why you are not answering me.

As far as selling machine work I have enough work in the shop this time of year and I just let people know what we have found over the years and what seems to work the best.

And fro the emails I have got people tend to believe some one who does this for a living rather then some one like you.

As there are a few people waiting here that want to know what you da as far as engine work.

Please enlighten me on this.

One other thing we have the best prices on machined blocks and rotators and with the free shipping we offer nobody beats our prices. and no body can compete with the quality of work we do with the shops we have and the CNC equipment we use.

We do a lot of work for some of the top shops in the U.S and I am well known for what we do and the quality of work we do.

What do have for equipment????

>>>>I am sorry you are lonely and all but stop PM'ing me as I don't play that... I draw the line on what I post on the net. Anything you have to say to me can be posted on the forum as I have no desire to have contact with you otherwise. Good luck selling machine work.

No crying involved these are copy and pasted. I TOLD you what the deal is... If you have a PROBLEM with that then WE can take it up from there... now STFU.

Other guys reading this NOTE the informercial in the middle on their pricing etc through a PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

"Hey The stunningman I know I PMed you and you cried about it."

LMAO

You sure are one lonely guy.... this is what you pm'd me word for word.... and my responses. Don't try going behind the scenes. When you get lonely go find someone else to look up. I limit my info because I feel its the proper thing to do... if you don't agree I can't care less.

>>>>The fact that I am not misleading in what I type should say enough. I have nothing to prove to you. The people reading the thread know who is telling the TRUTH and who is not. What I have stated has been true. What you think of me means nothing to me. Good luck selling machine work here.

>>>>I am sorry you are lonely and all but stop PM'ing me as I don't play that... I draw the line on what I post on the net. Anything you have to say to me can be posted on the forum as I have no desire to have contact with you otherwise. Good luck selling machine work.

No crying involved these are copy and pasted. I TOLD you what the deal is... If you have a PROBLEM with that then WE can take it up from there... now STFU.

Other guys reading this NOTE the informercial in the middle on their pricing etc through a PM.
Such volgar language as I never get that up tite over what is posted to make those kind of jestures as I an surprised the moderator did not step in on that comment.

You say you have nothing to prove but I am still waiting for an answer as what type of engine work you do?????????????

I am not looking for work on this site as you may think we have enough to do in the shops right now and most of our work is on new Dart and Bowtie blocks and we do a lot of roller cam bearing work for other shops and engine builders all over the U.S.

I post factual in on about 25 websites on what we have found on the engines and blocks we have seen in the last 33 years as we have seen it all.

Did not mean to up set you to use those kind of jestures, And if you need a crying towel send me your address and I will send you one. LOL

I run into these situations with guys that don't know what they are talking about do to they are not even involved in building engines for a living, The last guy I had a run in with sold medical equipment for a living and put his engine together in a one bay garage as I think thats what I am up against here according to an email I received tonite. And another guy who got his info out a magazie articles.

How many engines a year do you spec out and machine????
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Carl, as a fellow Speedtalker, I will back you up. To everyone else out there in internet land, I would take machining/block advise from CNC N/E above ANYONE else on this goofy forum. "The Stunningman" and "Studytime" are likely 15-25 year old know-it-alls (judging by their demeanor) who have been there, done that in all forms of racing and are car experts since they own LS1 cars. Right, haha. Prepped 4 bolts are more capable of handling power PERIOD as Carl has stated. "Stunner" and "Study", you speak of internet narcisists (look it up) but apparently that term does not apply to you for some odd reason. Just suck it up and admit that Carl is correct as he is a true professional.

Last edited by AJRACING; 02-03-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by AJRACING
Carl, as a fellow Speedtalker, I will back you up. To everyone else out there in internet land, I would take machining/block advise from CNC N/E above ANYONE else on this goofy forum. "The Stunningman" and "Studytime" are likely 15-25 year old know-it-alls (judging by their demeanor) who have been there, done that in all forms of racing and are car experts since they own LS1 cars. Right, haha. Prepped 4 bolts are more capable of handling power PERIOD as Carl has stated. "Stunner" and "Study", you speak of internet narcisists (look it up) but apparently that term does not apply to you for some odd reason. Just suck it up and admit that Carl is correct as he is a true professional.
Being you brought me into this...

It's terribly ironic that you said to look up "narcism"- being you spelled it incorrectly. (www.dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/narcisists%20)

The only thing I was pointing out was two things;

*application had a function on reliability
*parallel 4-bolt mains have proven sufficient with a GM block

If you're trying to build a 2-bolt block with ductile iron caps... then by all means spend $90 on the Eagle kit and make it a splayed block. Their steel caps are too cheap not to.

Also, CNC blocks is not a supporting vendor, but they sure don't mind taking a free plug at seemingly every opportunity.

Ben T.

Quick Reply: 2 bolt main block vs 4 bolt main block