Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

2 bolt main block vs 4 bolt main block

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA as a fellow speedtalker your g/f has your back. He joined just to help you out here. "Honey I'm Home"

I'm going to leave this one alone as there really isn't any argument as your g/f can't tell. Your just obsessed with trying to get some info on me for some reason. You probably surf the net looking for guys address's or something.

Wow.So you argued with a medical sales guy who showed you to be a tool as in this case? However he was less knowledgable.... because of his occupation eh? Your a janitor guy.

A quote directly from you CNC

"I could build a 450 horse street engine with a 2 blolt main block no problem there but from what I have seen I really don't THINK its the right way to go and I would go to a better 4 bolt cap."

I don't know studytime or any of these other posters here. Noone has my back. Yet everyone here except you 2 agrees that it can be done and reliably. Hell some even posted links which would be "e. pluribus unum" if necessary but the argument is moot.

Yes it can be done reliably on a street car end of subject.

LMAO at the crying towel. As though you could ever rival intellect. Your a Janitor... at some shop.... that can use a camera and computer. Im impressed.

Last edited by The stunningman; 02-04-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:24 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AJRACING
Carl, as a fellow Speedtalker, I will back you up. To everyone else out there in internet land,

I would take machining/block advise from CNC N/E above ANYONE else on this goofy forum.

"The Stunningman" and "Studytime" are likely 15-25 year old know-it-alls (judging by their demeanor) who have been there, done that in all forms of racing and are car experts since they own LS1 cars. Right, haha. Prepped 4 bolts are more capable of handling power PERIOD as Carl has stated. "Stunner" and "Study", you speak of internet narcisists (look it up) but apparently that term does not apply to you for some odd reason. Just suck it up and admit that Carl is correct as he is a true professional.

So you come over to defend your boyfriend huh? You also say a 400 hp engine can't be built reliably on the street eh? Your block has been fretting too?

Goofy forum? Well noone except your boyfriend gave you the invite. Don't slam the forum out of your emotional rage to protect your boyfriend. He has a towel for you but you already know that.

Carl is a true professional huh. LOL so thats what you tell him......

Last edited by The stunningman; 02-04-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The stunningman
HAHA as a fellow speedtalker your g/f has your back. He joined just to help you out here. "Honey I'm Home"

I'm going to leave this one alone as there really isn't any argument as your g/f can't tell. Your just obsessed with trying to get some info on me for some reason. You probably surf the net looking for guys address's or something.

Wow.So you argued with a medical sales guy who showed you to be a tool as in this case? However he was less knowledgable.... because of his occupation eh? Your a janitor guy.

A quote directly from you CNC

"I could build a 450 horse street engine with a 2 blolt main block no problem there but from what I have seen I really don't THINK its the right way to go and I would go to a better 4 bolt cap."

I don't know studytime or any of these other posters here. Noone has my back. Yet everyone here except you 2 agrees that it can be done and reliably. Hell some even posted links which would be "e. pluribus unum" if necessary but the argument is moot.

Yes it can be done reliably on a street car end of subject.

LMAO at the crying towel. As though you could ever rival intellect. Your a Janitor... at some shop.... that can use a camera and computer. Im impressed.

I am sure you can go to any website and you will find I am not the janator and on the most of the other websites I have my link posted click on it and see for yourself. We advertise in a national magazine as well but if you think I am a junator I am the best paid janator in the world.

I would PM you my website but last time I PMed you you cried about it.

AJ thanks but this is not a goofy site and I know what I am dealing with here and with the emails that have come in over nite on this subject there are a few guys here that know what I am dealing with as well.

I know I am not dealing with any other engine shops here or owners that build performance engines for a living but may be some janators LOL.

Stunningman what do you do for a living as there is not much on your profile for some reason HMMMM as that kind of says it all. Come on out with it as we are all waiting for the big news here LOL
Old 02-04-2007, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

So you come over to defend your boyfriend huh? You also say a 400 hp engine can't be built reliably on the street eh? Your blocks been fretting too? Sure.

Goofy forum? Well noone except your boyfriend gave you the invite. Don't slam the forum out of your emotional rage to protect your boyfriend. He has a towel for you but you already know that.

Carl is a true professional huh. LOL so thats what you tell him......

I find your slander very unprofresional on this forum telling me to SHUT THE Fxxx UP and saying I have a boyfriend and I really don't get into personal attacks on forums but I see you are showing your true colors here.

You know I am right here and can't admit and if you have use slander to try get at me thats fine I have big shoulders and can stand my own ground here.

And I a sure you I sent no one over here from another site.

I am sure by the emails I have gotten the last few days that my advise is more credible then yours.HMMMM
Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 AM
9 Second Club

No personal attacks. You PM me trying to get personal info that I told you was none of your business. People have a right to limit their families exposure to sources of the internet just as it is your right to blatantly put your name and advertise everywhere you want. Then you consistantly try and get it on the forum after I tell you its none of your business. Noone is slandering anyone, I stand alone noone is backing me no g/f from another forum coming over saying I'm right. I know I am right. Any people here stating it can be done and reliably Which is a hell of a lot more than 1 (YOU) and now 2 (with your friend from the other forum visiting this supposedly "goofy" forum) is saying so on their own accord. Apples to Apples.

Get your crying towel from AJ.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

No personal attacks. You PM me trying to get personal info that I told you was none of your business. People have a right to limit their families exposure to sources of the internet just as it is your right to blatantly put your name and advertise everywhere you want. Then you consistantly try and get it on the forum after I tell you its none of your business. Noone is slandering anyone, I stand alone noone is backing me no g/f from another forum coming over saying I'm right. I know I am right. Any people here stating it can be done and reliably Which is a hell of a lot more than 1 (YOU) and now 2 (with your friend from the other forum visiting this supposedly "goofy" forum) is saying so on their own accord. Apples to Apples.

Get your crying towel from AJ.
Again I believe you have no shop or even put engines together by the posts I have seen and I am sure the nature of your work has nothing to do with building racing engines.

You build a 500 horse engine with 2 bolt mains if you can and I will build one with splayed caps and at the end of the year if your makes it we will take them apart and see which one has the better looking bearings as I am sure the 2 bolt will look worse then the one I posted in the pic.

Never said it can't be done only that a 2 bolt is not as dependable or reliable as a good 4 bolt block and I can't believe GM has screwed up all these years and even built a 4 bolt block.

The only good thing they did on the 400 two bolt was make the caps wider to handle the extra torque and HP. I just wish they did that on the 350 blocks and I would not see the damaged 2 bolt blocks I have seen over the years. And it would save me alot of time building engines as well.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Stunningman

WOW over on the advance performance there is this thread can you believe that some one is having trouble with cap walk on a 383 2 bolt main and how can this be. And maybe I put him up to this HMMMM YA RIGHT.

HIS QUOTE

Originally Posted by WYD-01
Started shortblocking my new 383 setup, which is my old setup, with le3 heads and le4 cam plus alot of other new things. While getting ready to put my crank in, I noticed an etching on the block surface were the main caps bolt up. Is electrolysis possible here? I would think not, but I guess it could happen with a bad ground. Could it be that my crank was trying to move? I know for sure the caps were tight when i dissasembled it. I need you guys to help me out here b/c I am pretty stumped on this. BTW 2-bolt block, eagle 3.75 crank, eagle h-beams,and je pistons. Please feel free to reply.
This must be a 700 horse engine to have this happen LOL ENJOY
Old 02-04-2007, 10:30 AM
9 Second Club

And I believe your a janitor.. oh well.

On a street engine the bearings would look identical. As the time a street engine actually spends at 500 hp would be no more than a few seconds at a time. However I would have a fraction of the machining operations done and a hell of a lot fewer dollars spent. Which would be cutting $$$ you could be making out of the picture.

Since you like posting prices (and I'm sure they have a price sheet you can find while your there) so much post up a reality picture of a guy bringing you his 2 bolt block.

Obviously your previous $595 operations would be done to the CUSTOMERS block.

"at our shop if a block is sent to us to machine we sonic test the block first then we bake and blast the block and mag for cracks and line hone the block with a new set of ARP main bolts and square and deck the block to zero or there recomended deck height,cut the bottom of the cylinders for extra rod clearance for stroker cranks ETC, bore the cylinders and torque plate hone plus clearance the lifter bores with a ridgid Sunnen hone and final clean for 595.00 and all our work is done in a HAAS 4-axis CNC machining center."

So you have initial cost of the block. Say $200
then your $595
Splayed 4 bolt Main caps + bolts .. Add price here
An additional line bore or do you include that in the $595?...add price here
I'm sure you will want to change the bolt pricing so the Actual $595 goes to?

I would spend that money on a good forged crank before I would worry about the block. As I have saw more broke cranks than block fretting on street engines.

But of course your going to use a good crank if your going splayed 4 bolts So list the cranks Price. Between $500 -$1300 for it

Guess what you still don't have good enough rods since you've done all that. Figure $600-$1000 for rods

Then you would definitely go forged pistons (this is where I would never skimp). $400-$600

Then of course balancing $150 -$300

Then since you spec out all this machine work you should prob put it together $500 to put it together.

Sounds to me like selling someone the 4 bolt mains for that 2 bolt engine would lead in a whole new direction. And make you a whole lot of work $$$. But thats the idea.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
Stunningman

WOW over on the advance performance there is this thread can you believe that some one is having trouble with cap walk on a 383 2 bolt main and how can this be. And maybe I put him up to this HMMMM YA RIGHT.

HIS QUOTE

This must be a 700 horse engine to have this happen LOL ENJOY
Guy probably has one post and we haven't seen AJ here abouts.

I could find examples where guys made 600hp with 2 bolts and no problems. I could find guys with 300hp engines that broke cranks. Your point being?

Last edited by The stunningman; 02-04-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

I could find examples where guys made 600hp with 2 bolts and no problems. I could find guys with 300hp engines that broke cranks. Your point being?
HMMMM 600 hose 350 two bolt making 600 horse but for how long??? as all the shops I deal with would not want to attemp this and I would not even attemp to put that kind of engine on the dyno as I feel I would be afraid I would be 2 day cleaning up the dyno cell.

Stop reading magazines and books. You have built 600 horse engines using 350 two bolt blocks and I am looking for factual and hands on info here NOTHING PUBLISHED.

As Mike Lewis worked on a magazine engine in CA and when it was dynoed it did not make the numbers they wanted and he was asked to inflate the numbers and he said NO they took the engine some where where they did infalte the numbers.

And any one buikding a true 600 horse engine in not going to use a 25 dollar block out of a junk yard as it takes a lot of money to build that kind of power and I really don't think they are going cut corners on a good block.

Go over to the http://speedtalk.com/forum/ and post you want build a 600 horse engine and use a stock 2 bolt 350 block and see what the replies are. As I am probably the only Performance machine shop/ Engine builder that is on this thread. But if you don't feel comfortable I will post it you as there are a lot of professional engine builder on that site.

Go a head and call a spade a spade on the site as I am you don't want to here what they have to say.

Lets see what happens. 600 Horse HMMMMM
Old 02-04-2007, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
HMMMM 600 hose 350 two bolt making 600 horse but for how long??? as all the shops I deal with would not want to attemp this and I would not even attemp to put that kind of engine on the dyno as I feel I would be afraid I would be 2 day cleaning up the dyno cell.

Stop reading magazines and books. You have built 600 horse engines using 350 two bolt blocks and I am looking for factual and hands on info here NOTHING PUBLISHED.

As Mike Lewis worked on a magazine engine in CA and when it was dynoed it did not make the numbers they wanted and he was asked to inflate the numbers and he said NO they took the engine some where where they did infalte the numbers.

And any one buikding a true 600 horse engine in not going to use a 25 dollar block out of a junk yard as it takes a lot of money to build that kind of power and I really don't think they are going cut corners on a good block.

Go over to the http://speedtalk.com/forum/ and post you want build a 600 horse engine and use a stock 2 bolt 350 block and see what the replies are. As I am probably the only Performance machine shop/ Engine builder that is on this thread. But if you don't feel comfortable I will post it you as there are a lot of professional engine builder on that site.

Go a head and call a spade a spade on the site as I am you don't want to here what they have to say.

Lets see what happens. 600 Horse HMMMMM
Do you not recognize sarcasm?

The guy in this post earlier posted a link to someone with a 600hp engine he said was 2 bolt. I'm sure it could be done with a poweradder of course and I'm sure the guy knows he's on borrowed time if he overdoes it. Of course you are going to do anything to try and justify your opinion.... even raising the bar. Your a clown. I have no desire to go to speedtalk that site doesn't interest me in the least. And I think I'm the only engine builder on the thread because you are a janitor. Heck why draw the line there you are the only engine building janitor in the forum.

I see you skipped the $$$ post altogether. People don't want to hear how much you would tell them to spend. As you would say HMMMMMMMM.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Teching In

"Stunningman" if you're such a great engine builder, why the destructive avatar? Is this the quality of work you do?
"Studytime" I apologize for the spelling error. Maybe I should "Study" more.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

"Stunningman" if you're such a great engine builder, why the destructive avatar? Is this the quality of work you do?
"Studytime" I apologize for the spelling error. Maybe I should "Study" more.
this troll.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Damn I expect this on a bs kiddie import forum but not on here. Come on guys chill out and have an adult convo on the matter.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by md420
Damn I expect this on a bs kiddie import forum but not on here. Come on guys chill out and have an adult convo on the matter.
I definitely +1 that
Old 02-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Teching In

I agree, but that is the problem with this forum. It is overridden by kids and they have the same import mentality. The only difference is the kind of car they drive.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Teching In

I am a long time Chevy/Pontiac guy and will admit to tooling around with imports(turbo'd 93 hatch-13.2@101mph and a turbo's 98 sedan 13.9@96mph) and coming from me.......a person who has seen and been on both side of the fence I feel as if most people need to be more open to being true auto enthusiest, respecting other true auto enthusiest and just learning from eachother.

I now have a 96 hatchback civic which I have put together from the ground up, a 94 M6 Formula which is stock for the most part/125k miles and is actually my gas milage car, and a 64 Impala which I am about to shove a forged/stroked gen 1 twin turbo small block in. I for one love talking cars period and love to read/hear others opinions on what ever kind of car.

People learn by having adult convo's not by bitching/trying to prove others wrong. I see both sides to this on a tech aspect but I all but stopped reading when it turned into a bitch fest.

Eitherway, keep the peace and happy modding.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:42 PM
9 Second Club

I agree, but that is the problem with this forum. It is overridden by kids and they have the same import mentality. The only difference is the kind of car they drive.

There is no problem with this forum.... YOU joined to back your buddy CARL in his argument. I call the arguement finished as the readers can decide who has been telling the truth.

YOU ON THE OTHER HAND have SLAMMED the forum twice I honestly can't see why you are still here....voluntarily or not.

Hopefully this thread gets locked and AJ gets Banned for his remarks against the forum. I would not go over to speedtalk and generalize the forum NEITHER SHOULD HE.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Teching In

md420, I couldn't agree more with you. stunninman and studytime, i'm sorry to have offended you, but you were the ones to call out carl and challenge him. he knows what works best. so, let's just call a truce and end this. truce?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by phrozen755
I definitely +1 that
x2

Quick Reply: 2 bolt main block vs 4 bolt main block