Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

My first build-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007 | 01:12 PM
Teching In

Default My first build-up

I just crashed my 02 z28. I don't know if its totaled but regardless i'm not driving that everyday anymore. I'm buying a 1989 camaro RS and I would like to rebuild the engine myself. I was a mechanic on F-15s so my wrenching skills are up to par; I'm only short on overall SBC knowledge. I have been reading through here and in my magazines about rebuilding and am used to following instructions to a "T". So I think I'm re ady.

What are the special tools I will need? Can a simple head swap accomodate a turbocharger? Is there anything to watch for? Please any advice is welcome. TIA
Old 01-24-2007 | 05:35 PM
Launching!

Ive found its not who makes the motor, how big or small.. if you can understand engine components and how they all work any motor esp a small block 350 should be no more of a challenge than a pile of legos. My advice would be to research turbo setups, learn all the ins and outs, setting up a bottom end to support one and all that.. then start building up your motor and get it running without the turbo, Theres alot of learning to do up to that point. worrying about a turbo on top of that may be a lil much to take in at one time. one you have it up and running and have knowledge and confidence its no big deal to swap an intake and manifolds in a car. its a better feeling making custom parts and fabricating to a motor you know will turn key and run 2.

just some advice,
Old 01-24-2007 | 05:49 PM
Launching!

oh and some tools..

A somewhat nice Torque wrench is a must. working on F15s you should be familair with specs and sequences, i rework GSE not many days go by i dont use one.

Youll need a puller for the harmonic balancer.
Tap set is nice to clean all your threads up.
Rod bolt cover/guide for installing or removing rods... i personaly dont use one though
Youll need a few special tools for the piston rings. jegs sells a nice kit that comes with everything you need, grinder, feeler gauges, squaring tool, ring compressor..
A cam degree kit isnt neccasary but if down the road you would like to tweak the engine to your needs a lil better you can pick one up.

Thats all that comes to mind at the moment.. basic hand tools can carry you a long ways. You can never learn enough. just keep reading, and take it as your ready. if some steps dont make sense.. dont just skip over them, ask as many people as you can. may save you from a big mistake. i know i wish i had someone to look over my shoulder when i was learning things for myself!!
Old 01-24-2007 | 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

pretty much what he said, start with building a motor and getting that running and tuned , then try and boost it, trying to learn it all at once is going to be a headache if you run into an error.www.thirdgen.org thats probably the best place to get info on that body style, ive learned ALOT from just reading and they are great help on getting my new combo set up. I work on V-22 Ospreys so i can say Aviation maintenace is a lot more precise than building a car, but uses the same principles. This is the first build up i have done without any guidence and its going smoothly thus far, the best piece of advice i can give you, is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH! the more you know the easier it will be to select parts and put it together. I went through 3 sets of pistons and 3 cams before i even had my shortblock built, had i known what i do now i would have bought the right parts for my goals the first time.

Quick Reply: My first build-up