Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Junkyard heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while were on the subject of vortecs, whats the deal with all of them cracking? Seems like Ive heard they all crack in the same spot sooner or later?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking

The early ones had that problem. The new ones not so much. Like everything engine, Keep it cool, and do not run compression over 9.5-1 with cast iron. The weekness in these heasd comes between the valves from what I have seen. As cheap as they are, you are better off to buy new ones. they are cheap as dirt as far as heads go. Great performers though.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The stunningman
Personally can't care less what the magazines say. Every set of 906's I have got had the hardened seat which hangs over into the exhaust flow exiting. Anyone that has truly worked with both castings can easily distinguish the stock seat difference. 062's are the standard production set to be looking for.

Intake flow between the 2 should (will IMO) be identicle. Exhaust flow can be equaled though $$'s spent.

"there are only two Vortec castings, 062 and 906. They both flow identical intake and exhaust.
Sallee Chevrolet is a dealership! I gave you a link to their tech forum. I work with the vortec heads ALL of the time. One of my biggest customers runs the vortec 350's & the Mark VI BBC's on their compressor motors. These motors run 24 hrs per day and are going on 4 yrs of service without a rebuild. The motors only turn 2200-2400 rpms but to get the life out of them you HAVE TO KNOW how to build the heads properly. The 062 is the replacement part number for the 906 induction hardened valve seat cylinder heads. I work with the hardend press fit valve seat heads all of the time and there are not that many sets that have any sort of lip under the valve seats.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1997bird
Sallee Chevrolet is a dealership! I gave you a link to their tech forum. I work with the vortec heads ALL of the time. One of my biggest customers runs the vortec 350's & the Mark VI BBC's on their compressor motors. The 062 is the replacement part number for the 906 induction hardened valve seat cylinder heads. I work with the hardend press fit valve seat heads all of the time and there are not that many sets that have any sort of lip under the valve seats.

Are you retarded? 906's are the only casting with the hardened seat. So if you are in a wrecking yard and you run across a set of 906's and 062's get the 062's would be a good rule of thumb. The pressed in hardened seat is the lip retard. duh!. The 906's I have came across have HAD the hardened seat. I have got some of the worse misinformation from Stealerships. BTW 906's and 062's have BOTH been produced since 1996 with the 906's being the ONLY casting with the hardened seat.

"These motors run 24 hrs per day and are going on 4 yrs of service without a rebuild. The motors only turn 2200-2400 rpms but to get the life out of them you HAVE TO KNOW how to build the heads properly."

WTF cares?

Man go recommend some more really funky erson grinds somewhere and stfu.

Last edited by The stunningman; 02-23-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:20 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

For the record, and you surely already know this since you work at a dealership...062 and 906 are part of a casting number, not a part number...

AND, at Scoggin Dickey we now have a more affordable heavy duty casting of the Vortec heads available! They have more meat around the areas that have been known to crack as well as a thicker deck. Stock sized valves with chromoly retainers and springs and machining good to .475" max lift are $569.00 per pair!!!

Similar good to .525" max lift are $623.90 per pair!
Finally, good to .600" max lift and setup for hydraulic roller are $709.90 for the pair!!

We've got them all in stock ready to ship! Give me a call, I have everything you need for your SBC's!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-23-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stunningman do you know what the words "induction hardened" means? The 906 casting is a generalized partial casting number. They made bolth the hardened valve seat versions that have the pressed in valve seats and the induction hardened valve seats. Try a search so that you have a clue next time you ramble on about rumors of the "bad vs the good" set of heads. For me I think I would listen to SDPC's performance center, who actually sells a ton of these heads every day!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:15 AM
9 Second Club

Stunningman do you know what the words "induction hardened" means?
Yep

The 906 casting is a generalized partial casting number. They made bolth the hardened valve seat versions that have the pressed in valve seats and the induction hardened valve seats.
I think its pretty clear I know this except to you for obvious reasons.

Try a search so that you have a clue next time you ramble on about rumors of the "bad vs the good" set of heads.
LMAO at you telling me to search. As usual you skate the issue which is 906's were the only head produced with the hardened seats. So given a choice of casting numbers I would buy the 062's. Of course you also skate the issue of the seat hanging into the port as usual. Which I will post pics of later today to prove your a total tard. because you state it doesn't.

For me I think I would listen to SDPC's performance center, who actually sells a ton of these heads every day!
SDPC said nothing to me he is selling heads he corrected someone else on the part number versus the casting number, I can care less. As far as they sell a lot of these heads thats great. Its not unheard of for someone to sell a lot of a product and have no experience with the product you should know this.

Quick Reply: Junkyard heads