Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Figure Out What I Have (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:22 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Figure Out What I Have (Pictures)

Yesterday I went to a semi-local pick-a-part junkyard with my friend. We were about to go home when we found this stuff, then spent the rest of the time yanking it off of an old Custom Special 10 truck. The problem is that I don't know exactly what I have. I've narrowed it down a little doing some research, but I'm new to the old school sbc scene and need some help.

1. Holley Carb, has 6R 6910 B cast into the top on one side of it

2. Bottom side

3. The intake manifold came with a Mr. Gasket 1932 adapter / spacer which after looking up is a 3/4 inch quadrajet - holley adapter.

4. Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. I've determined it by the obvious Performer that's been cast into it. The problem is I don't know what kind it it specifically, the 86 and earlier, 87-95, or vortec one. Are there any ways to specifically identify it as one or the other? I didn't see any part numbers cast into it. Not to mention this thing was a bitch to get out of there. Anybody have any recomendations for cleaning this off, it's really nasty as you can tell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. This is a 600 cfm Holly carb and should have the part number stamped on the choke horn. It will say list # ....... The number that comes to mind is 0-1850s.

4. This is an Edlebrock Performer intake manifold that is part # 2101. I would take it to a machine shop and have it vated and if you want it to look like new I would also have it bead blasted & then re-vated.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

THe intake is for 86 and eariler, the diffrence is 86 and eariler all the intake bolts go in at an angle, 87-94 all bolts are angled except the 2 center ones on each side of the manifold they are almost straight up and down, and 95-up vortec heads they are all straight up and down and there are only 4 bolts per side of intake if i remember right. what i do on my dirty intakes is i take acid etching wheel cleaner and spray on them and let it soak for a min or 2 and them powerwash it off the best you can try to get all the grease you can off of it and then i take it and bead blast it real good and after words i have it washed it a heated parts washer and rince it off with a water hose and blow it out with air and its ready to go back on.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I'll check out the carb tomorrow afternoon and see if I can find anymore identifying marks. I also ended up bringing home some chrome valve covers that are in pretty good shape. They aren't as dirty as the rest of this stuff, but they could definetly use a cleaning. I'm going to try and get everything cleaned off tomorrow so I can bring it inside and put it in my parts pile. Would you guys say that was a decent haul for $115 after taxes? $40 for the intake, $50 for the carb and, $14 for the valve covers?

I plan on getting a book about Holley carbs pretty soon as I've got a gift certificate to a local bookstore, but anyone wanna tell me how to test if this thing works?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

lol looks like the set up that i have on 1979 gmc vandura lol
Old 02-19-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

From the looks of it I would get a rebuild kit for it and clean it up first. Then all you have to do is install on a vehicle and add gas.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:37 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 1997bird
From the looks of it I would get a rebuild kit for it and clean it up first. Then all you have to do is install on a vehicle and add gas.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm going to try and collect everything that I'll need to do this swap by spring break (March 19-24). Hopefully that's when the testing will take place.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

The standard rebuild kit is not that expensive, but the Trick Kit from Holley is. I would just use the standard rebuild kit as the price difference doesn't justify the other one. I have been selling these kits for 13 years.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:01 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 1997bird
The standard rebuild kit is not that expensive, but the Trick Kit from Holley is. I would just use the standard rebuild kit as the price difference doesn't justify the other one. I have been selling these kits for 13 years.
I was just looking at those in the spdc catalog I have sitting here. It says the standard renew kit is $17.95 while the trick kit is $78.95. Definetly a big difference.

From looking at the pictures in the catalog and using the information you gave me earlier I think it's either the HO-1850C which is a 4160, manual choke, with vacuum secondaries or the HO-80457S which has an electric choke and single feed side hung bowls. I really think it's the 1850 like you said earlier, but I'll check to see tomorrow for anymore identifying markings.

Another thing that I'm wondering about is the manifold had the adapter on it. The carb is a 4160, but the adapter is for quadrajet to Holley. Does that meen the adapter can adapt both 4150 and 4160 to quadrajet or vice versa? I noticed it had two sets of bolt holes in it. Also what sort of flange does that meen the intake has on it?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Regular

I paid $40 for a used edelbrock torker manifold from a local junkyard/parts place. It was all nice and clean (I'm guessing it was bead blasted). Depending on what the #'s are on the choke horn, I'm guessing you could've gotten one cheaper than that from a swap meet, might be the same for the valve covers. What kind of valve covers did you get? I didn't see em in a pic.
If I were you, I'd clean them the exact way My01SS recommended. Rebuild the carb the way 1997bird recommended, and you should be set.
Do you know where you're looking for the #'s on the choke horn at? Look at the pic I've attached. In the red square, that's where you need to look. Let us know.
Attached Thumbnails Figure Out What I Have (Pictures)-holley.jpg  
Old 02-19-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both the 4160 and 4150 series carbs are a square bolt pattern where as the Qudrajet's & Thermoquads are a spread port pattern. The intake manifold has the spread port pattern on it for the Quadrajet to be able to bolt on without buying an adaptor.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:56 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I just got home and went out to check the carb. 1997bird was right it was the 1850. It has 1850-3 1548 cast into the choke horn. I'm suprised I didn't see it earlier, but I was also in a rush.

I'll try to get some pictures up before I go to work of the valve covers. I'm not sure what type they are and my dad has the camera. Hopefully he'll get home before I go into work today and I can snap some pictures of them. I had to use a little persuasion aka metal baseball bat we found at the junkyard to get one off and it scratched it a little. It should buff out though and hopefully they'll look all nice and clean afterwards.

The prices I had no clue on. I've never even heard of or heard of anyone going to swap meets around here. It's all basically what you can scrounge up at junkyards. That's why I was so suprised when I saw this stuff. I'll call up my grandpa and see if he can find anything for me. He told me about a local shop they have that works sort of like a craig list. You just drop everything off there and people come and check out what's there and buy it. The shop sticks fliers up around town of what they have in stock. When something sells they takes some money for holding it there and you get the rest. He said he's seen all sorts of stuff there and to just give him a list of what I need.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Ahhhh, the advantages of having grown up and lived in SoCal. Long Beach swap meet every month and Pomona swap meet almost every month. From the 80's to the early 2000's I must have bought and sold several 10's of thousands of dollars of parts. Always a good score if you get in real early or leave real late.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Sorry it's been a little while, my computer crapped out on me and stopped working for the past couple days. I just fixed it about an hour ago when I got home from work.

Today I took my car to one of those do it yourself car washes with the pressure washers. I figured why not take some of this stuff with me. I ended up taking the intake and valve covers and absolutely blasted them. The intake looks a hell of a lot better, it almost has that new look in a few areas. The valve covers didn't come as clean. They still have some sludge on the insides from residual oil. I don't know how long that truck had been sitting there before we took this stuff off of it. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow of the semi cleaned items. I'm going to order one of the Holley renew kits from SDPC and try to fix + clean this carb up.

Friday, I'm going to try to go back there and grap some rear disk brakes so I can get rid of the drums. It's a V6, but not for too much longer I hope. We're going to go to another place Saturday morning that specializes in engines, transmissions and, performance parts. Hopefully we'll find something nice. I want to try to do this swap over March 19-24, but that's being extremely optimistic. That's spring break and it'll give me 7 days where I won't need my car.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Ok, I had to wait till my dad got home with the camera, but here's the updated pictures.

Intake manifold before cleaning:

After blasting with pressure washer at car wash:

The valve covers didn't come out as nicely as I had planned. They need work bad.
Outsides:

Inside of one, both look exactly like this:

I think my plans might have been a little accelerated today. I was driving home when my transmission decided to do something insane:

I present the Trail of Death:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/663833-trans-problems-trail-death-help.html
Old 02-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

you have a 600cfm holley spread bore carb with a vaccum secondary on a Edlebrock perfromer RPM intake

Quick Reply: Figure Out What I Have (Pictures)