Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Retrofit vs O.E.M. Hydraulic Roller cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007 | 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Default Retrofit vs O.E.M. Hydraulic Roller cams

About a year ago as I was planning by next heads/cam/intake setup I bought my cam, the 280XFI from summit. Well my friend was interested in this cam as well, and when I gave him the part number he looked it up on the comp website and it came back as "retrofit hydraulic roller". Well apparently if you put in the year of your car, engine, etc summit doesn't know the difference between the 2 so I actually ordered the retrofit style by mistake. Since it has been nearly a year I'm sure I can't return it so my question is this: Is there any possible way to make this cam work in an O.E.M. roller block?
Old 03-01-2007 | 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91Z28
About a year ago as I was planning by next heads/cam/intake setup I bought my cam, the 280XFI from summit. Well my friend was interested in this cam as well, and when I gave him the part number he looked it up on the comp website and it came back as "retrofit hydraulic roller". Well apparently if you put in the year of your car, engine, etc summit doesn't know the difference between the 2 so I actually ordered the retrofit style by mistake. Since it has been nearly a year I'm sure I can't return it so my question is this: Is there any possible way to make this cam work in an O.E.M. roller block?

first off
12-XXX = retro
8-XXX = factory roller

Yeah the retro can be made to work in a roller block you will need a proper timing set older style with a proper torrington bearing and the button for the front to make sure you get the cam can't walk to far forward (you need to set the amount of allowable walk).
Old 03-01-2007 | 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The stunningman
first off
12-XXX = retro
8-XXX = factory roller

Yeah the retro can be made to work in a roller block you will need a proper timing set older style with a proper torrington bearing and the button for the front to make sure you get the cam can't walk to far forward (you need to set the amount of allowable walk).
Yep I have the 12-467-8 . I guess I'll keep what I have and get an older style timing set. I would just trade for the 8-467-8 if I could but it is too late.
Old 03-01-2007 | 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

SUmmit will accept stuff back long after you might think, if it is still new, especially if you are buying something else in exchange. I am a good customer of theirs ($$$) and have returned a couple things at the 2.5 year mark! Worth asking. At worst they will charge a modest restocking fee.

Jim

Quick Reply: Retrofit vs O.E.M. Hydraulic Roller cams