Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Educate me on cylinder heads.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Educate me on cylinder heads.

So after meeting with my machine shop that is going to be doing the work on my 383 SBC, I've been left with a few questions. I've been trying to do some research on the Racing Head Service (RHS) heads per his suggestion, but there are a few things that I'm not sure of what I should be looking for. We're going with a 64cc 23* head, but there are quite a few versions of that head offered by RHS which has a pretty broad price-range. The term "runners" isn't something that I'm overly familiar with and it appears the price differences come into play with different runner figures. That would be the first question I have, what does that term actually mean? Also, the RHS brand isn't as "big" as some of the other names out there, so am I considering a good product when going with them? I trust my guy, but the more information the better I always say.

Thanks in advance,
-tim
Old 03-02-2007, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

The term Runner is reffering to the Intake runner and the Exhause runner it can also be reffered to as a port, it is a passage that air and fuel (intake side) and Exhaust (Exhaust side) run through to either go to the valve (intake side) or go out of the valve and leave the head (exhaust side), RHS has been around a long time and have good heads sometimes alittle over priced, the more cubes and cam you wanna step up it intake and exhaust runner CC's usually a 350ci engine runs around 170cc's to 180cc's depending on applications and cam size, what are your plans for this motor and what is your $ limit?? if it were me i would go with AFR's (air flow research)
Old 03-02-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Runner=port=hole

Cyl. head has intake and exhaust ports. They measure the size of the ports with cubic centimeters. Stock SBC head intake ports are around 165-170cc, exhaust port probably around 55-60cc. Aftermarket stuff can be small or large depending on the intended use, rpm range, cubic inch, etc. If your 383 will be a pump gas, small cam, cruiser, I'd get AFR 195cc, RHS 200cc, Dart 200cc heads. A combo like that would like 1500-5500rpm roughly. If you will be using a fairly aggressive camshaft, premium gas, 11:1 or more compression, loose torque converter, etc for street/strip use I'd step it up to larger port heads. AFR 210 or 220, Dart Pro 1 230, RHS may also have a large version like this. With 383 cubes, good compression, a cam that will complient these heads, I'd expect a driveable engine with a rough crackly idle and a strong powerband in the 3500-7000rpm range. More hp/TQ at the cost of a rough idle, louder exhaust, less mpg, etc. A well built 383 street engine can make 400+hp with mild parts in my opinion. Built more with power in mind, 500hp can be done, 600hp can even be done but price will start to go up and premium parts are a must. Goodluck!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Teching In

RHS has a very good reputation, but I think they went away for a while. Hot Rod had an article about them sometime in the last year or 2 saying that they are offering their services again.