Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

carb vs. fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb vs. fuel injection

does anyone have any info on carb to mpfi (fuel injection) conversions stating gas mileage increase or what not... and im staying true to the 1st gen block and I am not getting an lsx..i have nothing against those but i just want the the classic feel and look of the old school...
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

So you are willing to spend a couple thousand to save on gas mileage? I say get the best tune possible on your carb. Fuel injection is better but costly to convert.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

An old guy I work with is going to pull a pretty new Holley injection kit off a car he has if you're looking for a good deal on one of those.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

How much are you looking to spend? A full MPFI kit from Holley that includes ECM, injectors, etc runs about 2300$. Your gas mileage will depend on many things. Car weight and gearing are important, but if you have a huge cam in a stroker your mileage still won't be great for city driving. The important thing is that matter what it WILL increase. I get as much as 27mpg highway, but my city driving can vary depending on how much stop/go there is. Figure in the 13-17 range, 13 being if I caught in really bad bumper to bumper traffic where I never leave 1st gear. MPFI can also decrease detonation, so if your current engine is on the fence whether or not you have to run 93 you could probably even get away with lower octane.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Default www.massflowefi.com

Have you looked into a EFI system like on Mass Flow EFI ?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

im not looking to spend right now, im just looking for info...but i did find some good info on that website...thanks..
Old 04-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigdcustoms
im not looking to spend right now, im just looking for info...but i did find some good info on that website...thanks..
Well... if you just want info... here is all you could ever want:

Megasquirt
Megasquirt Forums
My Megasquirt conversion to a solid roller 406

Can you do fuel injection inexpensively with Megasquirt? Depends on how good of a parts scavenger you are. However what you don't spend in dollars you will spend in time and brainpower. The idea behind Megasquirt is: "MegaSquirt is intended as an educational project for those who want to learn about electronic fuel injection" and you will get an education!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Megasquirt is what we're gonna put on my boat when we put the twin turbos on it. Seems like a pretty good setup. Besides, my buddy is pretty damn good with computers and efi tuning.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Spending $3000 to increase your gas milage 25% doesn't sound like a good bargain to me. Is it possible you are having a bad experience with a faulty carburetor right now?

Ben T.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

its like an average of 2000$ or so depending on the kit...but gas mileage is not the only reason and like I said earlier i just want info to compare...i found a website on chevyhiperformance.com that hooked up wideband tunning up to a carb and got 21 mpg highway..but theres not a shop that does that around here..its all custom work.. thanks for the other websits though..
Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by flat-tire
Have you looked into a EFI system like on Mass Flow EFI ?

Is there anyone on the planet that actually has one on a car?
Old 04-07-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Holley MPFI kits are great, very complete and well under $3000 from Summit. Includes injectors (size of your choice from 30-50lbs.), manifold, 4BBL throttle (air door), sensors, harness, brain, fuel pump, wideband controller and WBO2 sensor, and good documentation. I probably left out a few things. Also there is great web support in the EFI section of Chevytalk.com.

bigdcustoms - you would get some more power and mileage out of that thing with a cold air kit. I have a dual snorkle GM kit that would bolt right on for sale:

PM if interested.

Jim

Quick Reply: carb vs. fuel injection