Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Vortec 8100 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vortec 8100 question

Anyone know where I can get a shop manual for one of these? Or where I can possibly get a crate engine?

The oil in my truck has gone through a few cycles of non-synth and synthetic, and I feel I should rebuild it(I fear for the seals etc.) and in general freshen it up... it's probably got carbon buildup like a ****.

I'm probably way overreacting, but I hate knowing that the engine has had a few times where it's switched between synthetic and non-synthetic oil.

Last edited by OKcruising; 03-20-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Depending on how many miles you have on it unless it has a mechanical problem dont worry about it. It's chevy spend your money on something to make it go faster!!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do... more I think about in the past... hour or so... yea, f*** it... it breaks, then ill upgrade.

Out of curio, you ever see that one "Ultimate" beater old Volvo around A&M?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

these days its really no big deal to switch to and from synthetic and dino oil, most of the new engines use rubbers seals everywhere, synthetic just get a bad rep in the older engine because of crappy seals and the sludge buildup over time seals off small oil leaks, then when people switch to synthetics and their superior cleaning properties clean up all that crud, now you have a crappy gasket that starts leaking when it was crappy all along

i would definitely not worry about anything unless you are currently experiencing low oil pressure or other engine noises or leaking oil right now
Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Do you have money to burn or something? Who in their right mind would rebuild an engine because they used a dino oil during a couple oil changes. If its not smoking, leaking, or losing power then its not hurt.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's got a tick over 50K miles and only done engine oil changes.
I've been debating whether to go with some goodies or not and more or less was looking for a legit excuse to do something. I'll wait till the odo rolls past 100K mi.

btw, im right on tick at 1 qt. per 1K miles on the dot, and about 1 qt. every 600 mi for towing, so leaking or losing oil is highly subjective i've found. wouldn't mind tightening things up a bit. ill wait however. mazda 3FD ls1 swap is taking precedence.

Quick Reply: Vortec 8100 question