Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Which Procharger to go with? P-1SC or D1 for my application/needs ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Procharger to go with? P-1SC or D1 for my application/needs ??

Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction here. I have an '88 Iroc-Z with the L98 350. Internally, the motor is still stock but has been well maintained. (Doesn't burn oil or anything). Mods thus far have been limited to headers, cat-back exhaust and 1.6 roller rockers. I also have an after market TPI set-up waiting to be installed, when the weather warms up a bit.

I was looking to buy an ATI ProCharger but can't decide on which route to take. There seem to be so many differing opinions on which head unit to go with, I hoped someone on here could suggest something.

Right now, I'm torn between the P-1SC and the D1.

As I said earlier, my L98 is internally stock so I'm well aware of the risks of running too much boost into a motor with cast pistons/rods. ATI says that these motors can only take about 9psi at most. Anything more than that and you'd be seriously pressing your luck. I'm not looking to build a 1000hp race car or run 9's or anything crazy like that, I just want to have a fast little TPI 3rd gen with a tonne of low-end torque

According to ATI's spec's the P-1SC is rated to 825hp. This is a lot more than what I hope to make (I think it's also safe to assume that's more than TPI would ever allow for ) and is designed to operate on engines with a base hp of between 200-500hp. The P1SC is also self contained which eliminates the need to punch a hole in the oil pan. Makes for an easier and cleaner installation and cost roughly $500 less.

I was going for the P-1SC but after doing some research on this and other boards, a lot of people are telling me to skip the P-1SC and go straight to the D1. Basically, I'm told that it has a lot more potential to make more HP and can handle whatever mods I plan to make to my engine down the line (stroker build-up). That's not so much an issue for me because like I said, I'll be retaining the TPI set-up on this motor which is going to limit my HP output anyways and besides, the P-1SC can handle 825hp so I think that about covers it.

What does concern me is that people are saying that the D1 is supposedly build with much heavier duty parts and will last longer. I'm told that because it flows 200cfm more air, it can make the same/more power as the P-1SC at the same boost levels without having to work as hard, thus, emitting less heat and increasing the engine (and superchargers) life span. Since I've never seen any direct head to head longevity comparisons between these two units, I don't know who to believe. I definitely want my Procharger to last a long time since it will be on a daily driven street car. Is the P-1SC really that badly built compared to the D1?

Also the P-1SC ranges from 6/9/12 psi where as the D1 ranges from 15-20psi. Should I end up going with the D1, does ATI offer 9 or even a 10# pully which would make it more compatible with a stock(ish) motor?

Finally, there's the issue of whether to go with a self contained unit, or tapping the oil pan. Again, there are mixed opinions here to. As mentioned above, a self contained unit is easier to install and if the motor ever lets go, or the supercharger itself for that matter, there's no risk of the engine oil getting contaminated with metal shaving or debree and causing even more damage.

Of coarse, others argue that using the engine's oil is better because there's a lot more of it circulating through the system which ultimately keeps the temperature down and prolongs the superchargers life.

I'd really like to hear from those with experience with either of these two superchargers or better still, from anyone with a Pro Charged 3rd gen.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:03 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My engine builder just finished a 406 build for a 66 Chevelle with a P-1SC. Motor specs are 195cc Canfield heads, mild solid cam (under 550 lift), victor Jr. intake and 750 carb. Out of the box, 11 psi Procharger settings: 594 rwhp through a TH400 and 3800 stall 10 inch converter. Add methanol injection = 653 rwhp! All this on a motor that is around 9:1 compression running on pump gas all day long. For your needs, I think the D-1 might be a tad too much, but if you're looking to go bigger later, I can see the argument for buying once and not twice.

Up to you, good luck!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I'm running a p1sc on a mild carbed 350sbc @ 8# in my 92 rs. It has been reliable and a ton of fun to drive. Traction is deffinitely a problem even with a well sorted suuspension. The boost does not come on particularly strong (still overwhelms the tires easily in first or second gear on a t-56 and 3.23 posi) but pulls nicely up top. It should really wake up your tpi up top, but I would look into some higher pressure springs to avoid valve float. The way mine is mounted, it's impossible to change the oil with the unit on the car but I can un-install it in under 15 minutes w/ hand tools. Bob at epp got me an awesome deal and is nice to deal with to boot. Give him a call when it is time to order.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Teching In

always overbuild everything, especially if its not ALOT more expensive.....then you have someplace to go with it in the future.

i'd use the d1sc

I have an F1-R, but im flowing alot more air lol
Old 04-12-2007, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

It just cost me 1200.00 to upgrade my P1 to a D1 that I thought I would never need.

Quick Reply: Which Procharger to go with? P-1SC or D1 for my application/needs ??