Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Difference in SBC and LT1 mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in SBC and LT1 mounts?

I was always under the impression that the LT1 mounts were different from regular SBC mounts but then someone told me that while they were different the blocks had the same mounting position. On the other hand though I have heard that the LT1 mounts are offset and the mounts don't use the same mounting holes as a SBC. What is true? To clarify I'm only talking about the mounts, not the frame pads.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

the monting position on lt1 blocks are in the same position and same bolt pattern as the older gen I small blocks, the difference in the lt1 blocks and genI blocks is the distributor is run off a shaft that is turned by the cam off the front of the engine,the Distributor or opti spark mounts onto the timing chain cover instead on ontop of the intake like the gen I, also the coolant flows in reverse on lt1's and a gen I water pump wont come close to bolting up, when gm went to the Lsx blocks is whe the mounts and everything else changed.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only difference on the LT1 engines they went with a "clamshell" design mount. The brackets have the same bolt locations.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whytryz28
The brackets have the same bolt locations.
Thats not completely correct. The LT1 brakets use 2 of the bolts on the traditional mounting location, then it has another bolt further back on the block that the gen 1 small block doesnt have. The mount has 2 holes in the traditional spot then it stretches back along the block for the 3rd. You could use an lt1 bracket for a gen 1 sbc, but you could only use 2 of the mounting holes for the bracket.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I dropping an L99 into a '75 GMC Pickup. The L99 currently has it's own mounting brackets still attatched, and does not line up. If I am reading this correctly, it should line up if I put GenI brackets on the L99 block? Also, the passenger side bracket is almost an inch wider than the stock Gen I mount.

Quick Reply: Difference in SBC and LT1 mounts?