Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

crank will not rotate, at all.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crank will not rotate, at all.

Well dont freak out, this thread is for a bbo, but I figured you guys may have run into this problem before. Anyway I picked up a olds 455 from a salvage yard today. It looked to be in decent shape for having the heads off. There was some rust in the cylinders,but it didn't look all that bad. So I get it home and give a bath in PB blaster and let it sit for a couple hours.I tried to take out the rods I could get out, Which was only one.Eventhough there are other pistons that are it position to be taken out they just wont come out. I just cracked a piston trying to pound it out from the bottom.LIfe being the way it is all the pistons that are not it the position to come out take a few wacks and they move in the cylinder. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Launching!

cylinders probaly got full of water with no heads on it.. enough to distort the bores a lil to make life hell, rings are probaly seized up bad 2.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what I figured when I beat on the #7 piston so much that I cracked it.So that would cause the bores to distort?I didn't know that, I guessed they were just really rusty.Right now the #4 and #5 rods are the only ones with caps on them.Both of them are at a position where I cant reach one of their rod bolts.I'm in the process of customizing one of my wrenches to fit.I figure if I can get one of those caps off I will be able to lift the crank out and get to the last rod.That sounds alright in my mind but we will see what reality has to say about it. Why is it that everytime you think you are going to have a easy job it kicks you in the nuts and laughs about it. Oh well just got to keep on wrenching away. If anyone has any suggestions i'm all ears.

Last edited by 1luckeyt/a; 07-14-2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Launching!

yea not enough to see by eye but it can deff warp the cyl's, Ive bored a few rusty blocks and its kinda erie the cutter wont exactly hit all of the bore on the first pass. id deff get it punched out to have a nice fresh start.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

victory is mine!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was going to suggest a ridge reamer. But, if vicotry is yours, than so be it.

Quick Reply: crank will not rotate, at all.