Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Guesstimations With A Sb 408 Combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bird
Well first, I don't have the luxury of useing a SR cam, I have to use a solid flat tappet cam. I had given this info in a previous post. Your are also not going to get 500 HP with a set of out of the box Sportsman II's, the most you can make is 493 HP. With a set of bowl blended & cleaned up Sportsman II's you are only going to get around 550 HP max'd out. As for the LS1 comment, you don't seam to be able to distinguish the differances between the two motors. Also I don't think that he is useing a hyd. roller cam, it sounded like he was useing a hyd. flat tappet with the info he gave out. Will his combo of parts make the max'd out the 493 HP? I highly doubt it! He is going to be more in the range of 425 HP. Sorry to come off a little harsh, but I think that you have been reading to many magazine articles, without enough real world experiance. I love the LSx motors b/c they are easy to make HP with, not so for your old school SBC's.
I wasnt trying to come off rude, sorry. I have alot of real world experience with this matter, I agree with your post but 425hp from a 408? Honestly a 350 would make those numbers with those parts, I didnt notice it wasnt a hr cam. His setup will be highly restricted with those parts, I have personally seen 482hp with box stock sportsmanIIs. As for the 493 I guess theory doesnt lie, well Op I guess you have your answers. Dont build that motor without a hr and some head work.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1sicss, I would buy a different set of heads if you have not already purchased them. I would stick a set of the RHS Pro Action head(formerly ProTopline), Dart Iron Eagle Platinum heads, or the EQ (Engine Quest--aka Pro Action) 215/220cc intake runner heads. If you already have a set of heads I would bowl blend & clean up the runners for better performance. I would also stay far away from the Edlebrock carb, I would suggest a modified Holley such as Proform/Quickfuel/AED/Demon/Holley Ultra HP in a 750 cfm rating(they will flow up to 950 cfm if the motor needs more). A custom cam would be the best bet to use, if you can go with a HR cam that would be your best HP. A full body roller rocker arm is worth 20-30 HP over a stamped steel rocker and your valve guides will wear less, as long as your pushrod length is correct. A performer rpm air gap or Bodix HV1016 dual plane manifold will work better than a single plane manifold will for a street motor with your compression. Your peak numbers may not be as high, but your average HP & TQ will be higher over the rpm range.

Last edited by 1997bird; 11-29-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Guesstimations With A Sb 408 Combo