Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Valvetrain Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvetrain Question

I'm looking to get some vortec heads and want to upgrade the springs + get rocker arms/lifters/pushrods.. Was looking to get higher end pushrods and springs to handle cam with these specs + some

Hydraulic Roller Cam
.234*/.242* duration @ 0.050
.509"/.528" lift @ .050
110* lobe seperation
107* intake centerline

Rocker arms looking for 1.5 ratio and with all these I'm not really sure what would be good to get so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read this book

don't have it handy right now but the whole book is basically a build on a stock 350,
they ended up making a max of 400hp and moderate 350 lb-ft through the whole rpm range and detailed all the parts they used.
The foundation of most of it, or what gave them the biggest power jump, was cheapo vortec heads with minimal cleanup and I think a matching edelbrock intake.
Other things I can remember off the top of my head were screw in rocker studs, roller 1.5 rockers. They tried 1.6 rockers and saw no improvement on dyno. Most everything was on the stock cam, but they did try 1 or 2 different grinds which helped reach 400 hp on the dyno, otherwise it was modest 350-380hp on the stock cam. I don't remember the cam specs. They also used 1 5/8 headers, and i think 2 1/4 dual hooker mufflers
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well I already know pretty much how i'm going to build it, I'm just not sure of the exact specs of the rocker arms/ springs/ lifters i'll need. I know i need hydraulic lifters and I guess any generic one should do fine.. I know i need self aligning rockers as well.. It's really the pushrod length and valve springs specs I'm not sure of and am having troubles finding info about it on the intraweb.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the block you're using a roller or non-roller? That will determine what cam/lifters you need. If by chance it's a roller block, you can use stock GM roller lifters & just swap cams. If it's a non-roller block (which I'm assuming it is just based on your user-name), you'll need retro-fit roller cam and lifters with a link bar.....these are uber expensive. You'll also need a cam button to keep the cam from moving in the block, a melonized distributor gear and a bronze tipped fuel pump pushrod. For valve springs, the easiest (I didn't say CHEAPEST) way to modify vortecs for high lift is to throw a set of Comp 918 beehives on and cut the valve guides down for the retainer clearance you need. This way you avoid having to open up the spring seats for larger diameter dual springs....plus you'd be good to .600". If you choose to install screw-in studs & guideplates, you can use normal rockers.....otherwise you'll need the self aligning type. Pushrod length is something nobody will be able to tell you accurately, you're going to have to get an adjustable pushrod and check for the length you need. Hope that answers some of your questions.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'd like to just stay with a hydraulic cam.

Quick Reply: Valvetrain Question