Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

sepentine or v-belt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sepentine or v-belt?

Which one should I use on my new engine? I have all the parts for both. I like the less cluttered look of v-belt but Ive never used them before. The serpentine is the one I used before the engine blew but its heavy and still has the a/c comp. on it(no$ for delete pulley)
So which one should I go with?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Launching!

When I re-did my engine last year I went with the V belt cause I liked the less cluttered look, the serp. belt is just to big.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I like serp myself but if you dont have the $$$ for the smaller serp pullys or deletion pully then go V belt if it is that much of a concern.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Launching!

What kind of serp. brackets do you have, I dont think a TPI f-bodt setup would look to bad but the ones I used were the TBI truck brackets and it was a huge bitch.

Just out of curisoty how much do AC delete pulley's sell for? I have one but the damn bolt that holds it to the bracket is seized in the bracket, I always wondered if it would be worth the time to try to get the bolt out and sell it.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Drumer919
What kind of serp. brackets do you have, I dont think a TPI f-bodt setup would look to bad but the ones I used were the TBI truck brackets and it was a huge bitch.

Just out of curisoty how much do AC delete pulley's sell for? I have one but the damn bolt that holds it to the bracket is seized in the bracket, I always wondered if it would be worth the time to try to get the bolt out and sell it.
The serp brackets are the original ones out of my 90rs. I think summit sells the delete pulley for $21 but im not sure.

I guess since my new set up wont be all that powerfull I could try out the v-belt, worst case I can always swap it out for the old serp.

Hey, drumer, u have any pics of your engine bay? what kind of power you getting with that cam?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

I've always used the late 80's f body type, it's more of a multi ribbed flat belt that follows the same path as the old v belt. As in just around the crank, water pump, and alt. I originally used this to prevent v belts from flying off.
Later I just realized it looks better.
I don't call it a serpentine set up because the belt is short and nothing rides on the smooth side of it.

Quick Reply: sepentine or v-belt?