Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

small block guru's inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Thats a little more like it. Only thing I would have done differently is stroke it. 383 or 396. No replacement for displacement. I hate small motors. Other than that, sounds like a pretty solid combo.
One more thing. With a SB, you may wanna re consider the glide. Unless its a lightweight truck. A 3 speed anything will probably run better for that set up.
I dis-agree about a stroker for a 84' S-10 pickup, he will need alot of suspension work with just a 355 in order to get things to hook up properly. He has the cam to be able to turn the rpm needed for a deeper gear swap to be able to get better control of the tire spin, and to be able to make up for the displacement through mechanical leverage. I would consider a 4.56-5.13 rear gear depending on tire diameter for the rpm going through the traps.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bird
I dis-agree about a stroker for a 84' S-10 pickup, he will need alot of suspension work with just a 355 in order to get things to hook up properly. He has the cam to be able to turn the rpm needed for a deeper gear swap to be able to get better control of the tire spin, and to be able to make up for the displacement through mechanical leverage. I would consider a 4.56-5.13 rear gear depending on tire diameter for the rpm going through the traps.
Well hell ya its gonna need suspension work. Thats a given.
Now, depending on what type of rear susp, I would go with dif types of engine.
Case in point. A few years back I tuned the 4 link on a tubbed S10 that had a 434 SB for power. Carried the front wheels about 1 foot in the air about 30 or 40 feet.
I just like bigger motors. You should know that Shane.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Well hell ya its gonna need suspension work. Thats a given.
Now, depending on what type of rear susp, I would go with dif types of engine.
Case in point. A few years back I tuned the 4 link on a tubbed S10 that had a 434 SB for power. Carried the front wheels about 1 foot in the air about 30 or 40 feet.
I just like bigger motors. You should know that Shane.
Well.......I hear ya if the suspension can hook it. I personally don't like my stroke over 3.875" on a SBC, due to throttle responce from rpm speed. I really like the bigger bore, shorter stroke motors. Usually the more power strokes made by the engine equals the first one to the other end of the track.

Quick Reply: small block guru's inside