Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Need some advice from you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from you guys.

Well im in the process of selling my vette (01 z06), im a youngster only 20 years old so I dont know much about the earlier model stuff. I gonna build me a good street/strip car. Power adder will be a turbo probly 76-80 mm. Im looking for a good build, im very fimiliar when it comes to turbos but not so familiar with the old school SBC stuff. Im probly gonna do some kind of 355 or 383 build. Im wondering what block to use(strongest) and which heads to use, im gonna buy after market but i still want to keep this on somewhat of a budget but i want a nice strong motor capable of 800-1000 hp on c16 and 650 on pump. I've heard good things about the Dart Pro 1s. But i have no clue when it comes to cams and lifter, so any help would be a greatly appreciated. Ive heard of some cams breaking and i most certainly want to avoid this. Also any good SBC forums other than this, where i can read up on some stuff. What dizzys are good, im probly gonna keep it a carb'd motor so a good blow threw carb reccomendation would be appreciated. Thanks for any info you give me and ill be forever greatful, Thanks Chris.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pro system makes a great carb. i would def. look into a better than stock block though. maybe a dart little M or a world motown block. Just better insurance for that much power. dart pro 1's are alright but i would def. look into the brodix -11's. a little port work and they flow awesome. Solid roller is the way to go. roller cams don't usually break. flat tappet cams are cast, so they are weaker. a good forged bottom end is a great start.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

as long as you don't go crazy with the timing, then you should have no trouble with a crank breaking. timing too high is the reason, other than dropping one on the floor, that i have ever seen a cam break. brodix are some of the best old style heads you can get for a sbc, and i would also go solid with comp or crane valve train. just my personnal preference, bt i have never had any problems with their valve train products or cams.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the advise guys
Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have ported dart pro1 platinum heads with a ported victor jr intake! i run NA right now and really dont feel the need to spray it cause it has enough power..... later on i plan throwing a lil 150 shot on it if i get bored but have a YSI setup being built if i really want to go fast..... if you dont drive it alot i would recomend getting a mechanical roller cam as well.... if you dont know how to adjust valve someone can teach you in a about 30 minutes i would say and you dont have to adjust them but about 3-5 times a year... also probillet MSD is a good distrib to use along witha digital 6.... look into eagle for the 4340 forged engine kits good for up to 1,000hp

Last edited by bluebeast; 06-25-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wuold use a Dart Little M block that uses a 4.125 bore and a 350 main. The next thing that I would think about is how much boost you want to use with your turbo system. The stroke of the motor should be picked after you decide how much boost you want to run, b/c a turbo is really just a TQ multiplier. I also prefer useing AFR heads, but Pro 1's & Brodix heads are great heads as well. I would use a solid roller cam on a build of this nature as well.