Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Clicking when starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking when starting

Hey guys,

I have another stupid problem with my car. The other day I drove my car about 20 miles to a friend's house then parked it. A little while later (maybe 10 minutes) someone asked me to start it up. Well, when I turned the key all i heard was a loud fast clicking noise, and the car wouldn't start. My volts were OK so I didn't think it was the battery. There's a mini starter on there that I got at the beginning of this year. After about an hour I went back and tried to start it again, but it did the same thing. I finally got it started after trying about 25 times. The battery was bad anyway so I changed that, and now it still clicks fast, but it'll start after about 2 seconds. My friend told me it might be the starter solenoid, and he gave me one to put on. The problem is on this starter the solenoid is like, permanently attached to it. My headers are REALLY close to it, so do you guys think the starter is bad? Damnit.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Have it rebuilt. Sounds like he's right. Another tip, wrap the headers that are next to starter.
DO NOT wrap more than you have to. It will help.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

Could be a connection problem, it'll eventually start (sometimes) because it eventually creates an arc that will 'weld' the loose connection for a short time.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Is this an automatic? It could also be the park/neutral switch. There is a lot of wiring to go from the battery, thru the car, and then to the starter. The starter needs 8 volts or more to activate, and there could be a lot of voltage drop before it gets there. Installing a starter relay will fix the problem. Then the key only has to activate the relay, and the full battery voltage will go to the starter.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try the relay first, because I don't feel like taking the starter out. Haha.

Quick Reply: Clicking when starting