Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Weird no crank tonight

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird no crank tonight

I drive the car every day, a real lot, i have 2 thousand amp batteries, and a 3.5 hp high torque starter... (This is on a mild LT4)

Ive never had starting problems at all, today i left my carpc on in the car all day by mistake and it completly drained the batteries when i went to start it, it wouldnt do anything. I figure no big deal and hook up the charger for an hour, nothing.... do a boost start, nothing, the starter just clicks....

I guess my question is , Is it possible for the batteries being discharged like that, and trying to start it, to ruin my starter???

Sounds unlikely to me but i cant understand the cars been so reliable all summer i have put almost 3000 miles on it just this month alone never a problem starting.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

i'de get the battery tested somewhere and see if it's any good.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM

this is unbelievable, i charged both batteries., theres plenty of voltage, and even hooked up to the booster ( a real charger/booster, not a cheesy booster box) and the starter just clicks, sounds like the gears coming out but not spinning the engine.... i can crank the motor over by hand so its not seized, but the weird thing is i never ever had a starting problem before this and i was running errands all morning it was fine. ill haveta pop the starter out tomorrow and see what happens when its out of the car.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Did you check the connections at the battery?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 PM

Yes i did... Ive been working on cars in a garage for 10 years, this is pretty baffling... It was late when it happend figures cuz i really was just having a bad day and wanted to take a cruise and chill and couldnt only caused more aggravation lol, but whatever....

I had been running errands all morning , shutting off and restarting, not just straight driving.... had the starter for 8 months. got a monster starter so i would never have issues with it, and 2 batteries (since the cars a daily driver)
and for the starter to be perfect and just die from parking a few hours i find unlikely (not unbelievable but very unlikely) I checked alll of the cables and the only thing i noticed was the stud going into the starter seemd (very tiny bit) loose, just spun the wire around clockwise and it tightened it, (very very little)

Used a test light an checked power at the Main wire and the start wire, checked out okay...
( just for hahas i connected a jumper to the starter (the crank wire) and the + battery, and when i do this it makes a pretty big spark, like its taking a big load) so maybe that main feed going into thestarter isnt making contact inside?

i think at this point, the oil leak may have gotten in between the starter housing and engine block and causinga bad ground condition or. the starter did completely die just out of the blue with no warnings......

What do ya think is more likely ? and sorry for the rambling i was trying to give as much info as i could .
edit:
**lmao, see that i did forget something as much of a draw as it seems totake when i connect the crank wire to the battery (same result as turning the key though, the headlights with the highbeams on do not dim the least bit they stay perfectly normal so it really cant be drawing anything right? thats with the battery hooked up and with the boost charger hooked up same results)
Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

I've had a Tilton starter sieze up...some screw inside backed out and locked up the unit..took it apart, locktite the screw in and it's all good...

No clue what your problem is and it sounds like you have a lot more experience than myself...goodluck!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 AM

I checked it this morning, the gear isnt even moving out to contact the flywheel, its just clicking and not moving, how the hell could this just happen without warning wtf was perfectly fine, now totally dead.

Ryan
Old 08-27-2008, 11:32 AM

Took it to a starter shop today, and the motor was fried, he said it was caused by low voltage, and trying to start it... it was an ongoing issue i guess since the wire from the solenoid to the motor was a tiny bit loose... it just happened to **** the bed in front of my house not when i was out doing errands thank god.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Weird no crank tonight