Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Need help with sbc 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok after putting a new flexplate on and a new starter the same problem is happing. The starter is only hitting 3/8 or so of the teeth on the flexplate. It not getting a full bite 'front to back' It not the shims, Its not to close and not to far its hitting just fine but nothing getting enough of the teeth. So how do I fix that? can you shim a flexplate out? away from the engine I mean. That would give the starter more to bite. I mean I've tried 2 diff starter for different years. The numbers on the block are to messed up to see right I swear it looks like 3970070 or 3970078. Which I can't find out anything about either number.

The other number I had posted awhile back I can't find the info the other guy gave, I'm running out of ideas and need help./ What I know is this
Its a 75 K5 Blazer with a 350 and a Th350 tranny.
V0606TYZ Up near the head is this number
3970078 This number is by the bellhousing. I can't make out the last two numbers for the life of me.
I brought the flexplate for a 75 3/4 350
I brought a starter for the same. Didn't seem to work so i picked up a starter for a 70 3/4 ton it seemed to bite more but still not good enough and Now I think I need to change the flexplate again.

Sorry for the long post its been a long week and I didn't get very far.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

bump ttt
Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

the year of the actual engine does not matter so much as long as you got the correct starter flywheel combination this should work you might want to make sure the flywheel is on corretly,not backwards, since i cannot see it for myself i'm only guessing, the way to check clearance is take a 1/8 inch allen wrench and with the starter bolted to the engine make sure there is 1/8 inch clearance between the the shaft the bendix rides on and the teeth of the flywheel,i think the teeth only engage the first 3/4 of the tooth not the whole thing any way or hit up some buddys for a starter or two and see if one of them will work also check your cables battery state of charge ect, hope this helps keep us posted
Old 09-14-2008, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Tried new bat its getting enough power. your saying its only going to engage 3/4 of the teeth I'm not getting that maybe like i said 3/8. I'll try another starter or two but I'm afraid much more and i'm changing a flexplate again. So I take it their is no such thing as shimming the flexplate. I can try to take pics of the teeth but i'm not sure if they will turn out so well. And I'll double check the flexplate but i'm sure due to the torque converter you can't really put the flexplate on backwards.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Default need help with 350 small block

I have a 350 small block 4 bolt main I recently bought a truck and got a casting #3970070 I trod to find the year of engine but can't find anything I beloved its a 1976 motor I can't find my orriginal numbers that tell me day month an year it was made can someone help me
Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenneth1
I have a 350 small block 4 bolt main I recently bought a truck and got a casting #3970070 I trod to find the year of engine but can't find anything I beloved its a 1976 motor I can't find my orriginal numbers that tell me day month an year it was made can someone help me
Front left hand side of block just over the water pump is a flat pad that should have #'s and letters stamped in it unless the block has been decked that will tell you by the 3 letters what years it was used and what car or truck it was in !

Quick Reply: Need help with sbc 350